Chapter 2

I rhythmically moved the muscles of my arms and legs a foot under the surface of the school’s Olympic pool.

            I wore nothing but my trunks, so I could feel the cool water passing through my body.

            I reached the other side of the pool; I ascended toward the surface to catch some breath.

But as I swam up to the surface, I could see the dim image of a girl’s face.

“Hey, Frank.” She greeted.

“Hi, Olivia” I replied.

What a coincidence, eh? Well, it wouldn’t be if it weren’t for Joe.

            Earlier that day, Joe and I just arrived to our school. 

            We were strolling across the hallway grieving about the day’s eventual algebra quiz. I was good in mathematics before, but not for long.

            Bill ambushed us by greeting “Hey, guys!”

            “Sup, Bill.” I replied.

            “How was your deep conversation last night with Olivia?” He said “Because I saw what you did, that’s not gonna get you your money, Frankenstein.”

            “Why would I continue to do this stupid bet?” I protested.

            “Cuz if you don’t, guess what I’m gonna post on Facebook.” He threatened.

            “What is it?” I asked.

            “That’s for me to know, and for you to find out.” He said.

            I gulped.

I somehow understood how unpredictable my cousin was. One time, he posted a realistic Photoshop picture of my Cousin Edwin’s head on Channing Tatum’s posing body. The worst part was no one was aware that that was Chan.

Edwin literally stayed in his closet for two weeks.

“Fine,” I yielded “I’ll try to talk to her again later.”

“Okay, keep it cool, Franko.” He said and headed toward his class.

Joe leaned to my ear, and he said “Hey Frank, I have an idea.”

“Go on.” I said.

“Go swimming after class.” He suggested.

“How will that help me, exactly?” I inferred. “I didn’t bring any trunks, dumbass.”

“Just think about what you want to talk to her about.” He said “I’ll just do the rest, buddy.”

“Fine” I agreed.

Later that day right after class, I was headed toward the school’s athletic swimming pool. In the locker room, I was surprised to find my favorite pair within my locker.

Joe and Bill happen to be friends too. They have connections apparently.

So I stripped down and changed into that.

Before I dove into the pool, I performed some warm-ups.

After loosening my joints, I jumped in and pretentiously did a butterfly stroke. Then the following events lead to me meeting her again.

“So…what do you need me for, Frank?” She asked.

“Uh…I heard that you know that algebra thing.” I said “I couldn’t find you, so I asked my friend to tell your classmate that I need you.”

“Um, Frank.” She said.

“Yeah, what is it?” I asked.

“This is the most stupid way to get my attention.” She said. “Even my brain’s all scattered by Mr. Takeo’s lecture?”

“Is that so?” I asked.

“Totally, but how cute of you to do in anyway.” She chuckled. “Why would you choose me?”

“I don’t have many friends who are good at math.”  I said.

I lifted myself from the water, and grabbed my nearby towel.

“How long have you been swimming?” She asked.

“I’ve been doing this since middle-school.” I replied.

“Yeah, see you tomorrow, Frank.” She said in farewell. She walked away.

She stopped, turned around, and she said “If you want to get my attention, don’t do this shit again, huh?”

I nodded.

“Bye Olive.” I waved goodbye.