Chapter 1

It was the Friday night, the dawn of the weekend.

Me, my cousin Bill (he was a junior), and my best friend Joe Wilkes were driving toward a party, one particularly hosted by the school’s most popular student, Jason Green. He was a stereotypical jock who has this assumption of physical superiority over mentality.

“This is it.” Bill said. “This is your rite of passage as a teenager.”

In our school, Union Town High, it was traditional that a freshman would attend a Green’s house party.

“Uh-huh.” I wasn’t so enthusiastic.

So we drove past rows of houses in the neighborhood until we stopped by a house lied with improperly parked vehicles and loud music blaring from the house.

We exited our car and we approached the porch. Without notifying Jason, we directly entered the chaotic realm of the party.

The song “Shots” filtered the sound barrier, it smelled like beer, and chatter filled the air.

We approached the kitchen, where Jason himself was talking and indulging in beer with his football buddies. Unfortunately, Bill was one of his buds.

“Billy!” Jason yelled excitedly.

“Sup, G-man,” Bill replied “Meet my cousin Frank and his boyfriend Joe, they’re freshmen and they’re ready for a party here.”

“Alright,” Jason said “Here are some beers on me, fresh meat!”

He tossed me a cup of beer. I caught it unsteadily.

We left Bill to mingle among his friends while we retreated to the living room.

I spotted a nearby plant, so I approached it and dumped the contents of my cup into it.

“You hate the beer?” Joe asked.

“Damn straight.” I said “My mom’s going to kill me if my breath smells like alcohol.”

“Dude, this whole house smells like alcohol.” He explained “It’s going to rub off on you anyway.”

He took an immediate sip, and he gagged. “Shit!” He said “This doesn’t taste like when my grandpa said.”

We took a seat on the couch, then we just lounged.

I took out my iPhone and I began playing Angry Birds. Joe decided to watch Breaking Bad on Jason’s HD Flat.

After sliding my thumb past the screen of my iPhone, I started to become thirsty.

“Hey, Joe,” I asked “Where’s the coke?”

“Over at the dining room.” He said.

I rose from the couch. And I walked through the intoxicated crowd. They belched fumes of liquor.

It disgusted me.

When I was in middle-school, I heard stories about how fun a Green party would be. I was experiencing it first hand, and it sucked.

I could detect Bill from the arch leading to the kitchen. He was laughing drunk with them.

The dining room consisted of a table line with snacks and a cooler on the corner of the room.

I stopped by the cooler. I grabbed a can of coke, and popped it open.

Before I closed it, a girl asked “Can you hold that first?”

I paused for thirty seconds somehow. I was briefly mesmerized by her pretty face, those intensely luminous brown eyes, and her silky straight brunette hair.