Chapter 4

I couldn’t believe I was beat by a girl!

That was the first time in my life in which I was beat in an arm-wrestling match. I wonder what technique she used to overcome my strength.

It was evening after earlier, and I discussed what occurred with Bill while we were tapping the buttons over Call of Duty in my room.

“Dude,” He said “You suck.”

“Ha-ha.” I remarked sarcastically.

“Double kill!” He exclaimed “Well, I can see you’ve considered more intimate confrontations.”

“I don’t know how to talk to girls, Bill.” I protested “You don’t have to be an asshole about what I do.”

“Yeah…you can’t talk to girls since Rhea in elementary, right?” He said.

Okay, may I admit something personal to you?

When I was in the fourth grade, I wanted to give her my valentine’s gift. I felt very tense when I gave it to her.

I felt so tense, that I urinated in my pants. Thus, I was never able to get a girlfriend, nor did I ever want to.

“Can we not talk about that?” I complained.

“Sure okay.” He said “Even if you’ve manage to avoid every girl I try to hook you up with, why is it so easy for you to talk to her, and why just now?”

“I don’t know,” I admitted “It’s just that the way she speaks to me, well…I don’t have to think it over. All I have to do is say whatever to her, and then she doesn’t bite me back, she just gives a subtle response and we stay friends.”

“Dude, are you falling for her?” He asked. “Because that’s what I thought in middle-school cause’ Joe’s your only best friend.”

Yes, Joe is my sole best friend. Because it’s difficult to seek a genuine friend like him, and I’m contented with having a single but true friend.

“No, course’ not,” I explained “We have nothing in common. It’s just that she’s easier to relate to, she’s that kind of girl I can just be myself with.”

“You know what,” He said “You sound really gay right now. You do realize she’s just part of the bet, right?”

“I don’t know what to say.” I said.

“Don’t tell me the ‘L’ word just struck you.” He said.

When I thought of the “L” and Olivia, my heart just pounded. A giddy surge would make my body tremble.

Because I thought about Olivia, she isn’t like any other girl.

She’s the kind of girl I’m comfortable with. Someone I can easily relate with. She was the girl I was always anticipating to arrive.

She was the girl I have reached after avoiding girls so much as a child. She wasn’t “it”, she was “The one and only”.

But somehow, I tried to disregard my feelings. She was just the object of the bet, she was just a goal.

“No, I’m telling you, it hasn’t.” I retorted.

“That is not yet, Franko.” He yelled “C’mon, you had to get me with those reaper drones already?!”

You suck, Billy.” I said.

“I’m pretty sure you do, Frank.” He said “Cause’ you can’t keep things simple in a bet.”

I pounded my fist against his shoulder. He laughed.

Anna was right. Us boys, we can have MMA fights with each other, and remain friends.

Bill perpetually harassed me about the consequences of losing the bet and how lenient I was toward it.

But nonetheless, he still remains as the one relative and friend that made my childhood.