Chapter 7

It was Saturday night. Me, Joe, Bill and Greg (Bill’s younger brother) were in the room playing Battlefield 3 together and we discussed the previous events.

My mom was downstairs in the kitchen preparing dinner with Aunt Jenna and Uncle Carlisle (Bill’s parents).

I could merely inhale Uncle Carlisle’s delectable pork chops and mom’s fresh salad from the room.

“Dude, you’re getting there.” Bill said while he sniping Joe.

“Yup, I see them act like cute little puppies every day.” Joe said as he was searching for a vehicle “And he’s making progress.”

“Yeah, course’.” I said.

“Why do you guys like to date girls, they’re full of sick cooties.” Greg said with his high-pitched voice. He was eight years old, but he somehow knew more about being a teen than I did as a kid.

“Because, Greg,” Bill explained “Us boys are hunters and in the wide pasture of high school life, the girls are the prey.”

I squeezed the handles of the controller. I brutally killed Bill’s avatar with my machine gun.

I wanted to protest. Olivia wasn’t a target or a trophy! She was the girl I wanted to be with, the girl I genuinely loved.

“You know, Greg. It’s not about what’s available, it’s about what your heart shouts out.” I corrected.

“Why how gay of you to say, Frank.” Bill remarked as his avatar reappeared. “Frank was just bluffing, Greg.”

“Dude,” I yelled “How can you say that about a girl I was waiting for a long time?!”

“Holy shit,” Bill said awestruck “You’re in love!” He said “What are you doing?! Dude, you said it yourself, she’s just a part of this bet!”

“You can screw this stupid bet.” I said “I love her!”

“Well, you guys aren’t together yet, right?” He smiled maliciously “Just as long as you’re not dating, I guess I will post that embarrassing photo by the end of the month. Mark my words Frank, you brought yourself into this. I don’t care if you’re in love, because if you don’t follow the terms of this bet, I will embarrass you in the internet.”

I just glared at him. I felt as if I wouldn’t care, but I was too afraid to discover what he has in store.

If he intends on humiliating someone, that someone will become humiliated. I couldn’t risk compromising my high school life.

But Olivia mattered to me more than this bet.

            “Fine,” I yielded “I’ll do what I can.”

            I felt bitter toward his threat.

Ever since my argument with Bill, I thought of Olivia more frequently.

I saw her in my dreams.

I imagined her swimming by my side underwater, we were a newly-wed retro couple in a romantic musical, I was Spiderman saving her from the mercy of muggers, and I was Romeo climbing up to her balcony.