Chapter 3

The day after that one, after school, I didn’t want to even think about the bet.

I sat down on my couch, with a can of coke grasped in one hand, and a television remote held in the other.

            I was watching Family Guy. Then, my iPhone suddenly shuddered under my pocket.

            I answered it. Bill was harassing me once again.

            “Yes?” I groaned.

            “So, I heard about that stunt you pulled yesterday.” He said.

            “Ha-ha, very funny, Bill.” I said.

            “Dude, you have to improve your tactics.” He explained “Otherwise, you won’t get fifty by the end of the week, and I’ll do something unbelievable to you.”

            “So much for family, Bill.” I said. “Make it by the end of the month and cut ten off the fifty.”

            “I got it and good luck to you.”

            “Good luck to you too, Vinnie.”

I hung up, and then I strategized a new plan. As I thought on, I finally came up with a solution when.

The following day, my approach would be at lunch.

So as Joe and I reached the cafeteria, I tried to locate her as I scanned my surroundings.

Then in the horizon, I spotted her with her friend Anna by the opposite entrance.

“Joe, I’m going in for the kill.” I said. “Save a table, huh?”

“Go, tiger.” He said. “I’m starved.”

I dashed toward her dodging other people. As I reached her, I greeted “Hey, Olivia, and Anna.”

“Whoa,” Olivia said “What’s with you, Speedy Gonzalez?”

“Oh, nothing,” I said “I was just wondering if you would like to get some lunch.”

“How nice of you, uh…”

“Frank.”

Right, but you see I have my own money.”

“Why don’t I treat you?”

“Yo,” Anna waved “What about me, Gonzalez?”

“Yeah, okay.” I gritted my teeth smiling.

So we acquired some trays, and we received our food. Apparently, they were taking advantage of my treat.

They got extra!

“He’s paying.” Olivia pointed her thumb toward me.

“That’d be twenty dollars, Meyer.” The cashier, Mrs. Grimes, said with her raspy voice.

I reached into my wallet, grabbed a twenty dollar bill, and handed it to Mrs. Grimes.

She gripped the bill and pulled it from my resisting hand.

“Uh, Meyer, aren’t you gonna let go of that?” She asked.

“Of course” I released my grip on the bill. I just deprived myself of two days of lunch!

I rallied with Olivia and Anna.

“You good, Frank?” Olivia asked.

“I’m great.” I replied “My friend reserved us some seats.”