Cave of Secrets - Part 7

When Riley returned he saw that Maida ,Craig and Robin had joined them.

"Sorry guys, I didn't know you were coming or I would have gotten you something."

Maida waved him off without looking up. "The drone returned with the coordinates of the W.R.E.C.K. headquarters. Are you guys sure you want to go there? We really don't know what we're walking into."

The faces of the team were grim, but determined. "Fine, "she mumbled, "but don't blame me if you don't come back alive."

The W.R.E.C.K. headquarters had a weird symbol on the door:

ς

"I've always been a fan of the direct approach," Craig shrugged, and knocked on the door.

No answer.

Craig looked around. "Any ideas?"

Robin stepped up and banged on the door.

No answer.

Craig glanced at Robin. "Not exactly what I meant by 'ideas,'" he muttered, "but OK."

"Did you check the lock?" Avery looked from Craig to Robin.

"Why would they install a bulkhead if they weren't going to lo..." Craig began as the door swung open as he twisted the handle.

"Was that what you meant by 'ideas?'" Robin smirked as she brushed past him. Craig rolled his eyes but said nothing as he followed her through the door.

The room was large, with black walls and green accents. There were computer monitors everywhere displaying different information. Lab equipment like sample flasks, experimentation tubes, and experimentation sites were scattered across multiple tables, and everywhere they looked were jars filled with rock grubs suspended in strained gel. As they stepped into the room Mason was bent over a table, experimenting on a dead rockgrub.

"Oh," he said. "Visitors." Mason straightened and straightened his lab coat. "Welcome to the headquarters for the Winchester Rockclub Experimental Cranial KHARRA project." Mason took a step toward a button on the wall labeled ALARM. "You really shouldn't be in here without authorization."

"We have authorization, said Sam, and she pulled out a small card with the Alterra logo.

Mason looked at the card suspiciously. "That changes things," he said. He picked up a small tool that looked like a laser cutter. It had three multi-gauge shooters at the end and a small glass tube at the top holding multiple miniatures ion cubes. It was covered in TSF logos and the warning Do Not Steal Or Face $500,000 Credit Fine Or Life Imprisonment was prawled across its body.

"This," said Mason casually, "is an ion blaster. It will..."

Sam interrupted. "Put down your weapon."

Mason curled his lip into a snarl. "Why should I," he asked sarcastically.

"I'll handle this," said Avery quietly, and pulled what looked like a small, three-spiked boomerang from his pocket.

"I'll give you one more chance to lower your weapon," Avery said.

Mason chuckled. "What are you gonna do, say g'day too many times?"

With a flick of his wrist, Avery threw the device at the blaster and knocked it out of Mason's hand. Before he could react, Maida bent down and picked it up.

"Well, well," she said, "ain't so tough now, are ya?

Mason rubbed his wrist and glared at Maida, but stayed silent.

"Avery," Maida said, "when we get back to the base, reverse engineer this thing. It could come in handy."

"Will do," Avery said as she handed the small blaster to him.

"What's This all about, "Mason demanded. "What do you want?"

"I want to know why you are experimenting on these rock grubs," said Sam, "and why Kharaa?"

"Because," Mason began, annoyed, "There are many good things that can come from this research."

Sam crossed her arms. "Oh yeah? Like what?"

"Like profit," Mason smirked. "I'm doing this and that's that. You and your little group can't stop me!"

Back at the Cave of Secrets, Avery soon reverse engineered the ion blaster and started a production line to make them. Suddenly, there War people banging at the entrance to the cave.

Sam walked to the door. "Somebody really needs to install cameras," she said loudly.

Opening a door she saw two TSF officers in full battle gear..

"Come with us now!" They drew their weapons.

"Now would be a great time for those ion blasters, Avery," Sam shouted as she dove away from the door.

"First line just finished but why..." Avery began.

"Just bring two and come here!" Screamed Sam. Avery was there in a flash, blasters in hand.

"Oh," he said mildly, "that's why."

"This operation has been deemed illegal. Surrender your arms and come with us!" The TSF officers were moving towards the door.

"Not a chance," Shouted Sam, and promptly used the laser blaster.

While TSF officers scrambled for cover, Sam turned to Avery.

"Gather everyone from the cabins, she said, "I think it's time we have a battle."