Chapter 3

I woke up about half three to Ayden crying. Mum wasn't home yet? Wierd, she went out about nine. I went into Mum's room and picked up Ayden but he wouldn't stop crying. I knew what was wrong. He was hungry.

"Come on little baby boy, It's okay Mum'll be home soon."

In my head all I could think of was where could Mum be? She'd never left me alone before, and with Ayden?

Maybe I could ring her? I went into the kitchen but on the table was Mum's mobile. Trust her to forget it.  Ayden's screams were getting louder, the neighbors would hear and I'm sure Mum would get into trouble for leaving me on my own with a newly born baby.

There was banging on the wall.

"Stop that racket!" Came an muffled voice from the other side. What was I supposed to do? I rocked Ayden back and forth hoping to subside his constant cries.

Perhaps I could nip to the corner shop and get some formula, I think it was open 24hours, or something? No, that would mean leavin my brother, and I couldn't do that. But Mum had? I had to stop questioning myself. I'm sure Mum would be home soon. She probably didn't expect me to be up so early.

Right, I thought, I'm going to have to go to the shop. Carefully I put Ayden into his bouncy chair.

"I promise I'll be back soon. Don't worry I'm just getting you some nice milk." I whispered into his little ear.

Luckily there were a fiver on the sideboard. I picked it up and got the keys from the little pot I'd made when I was younger. I opened the door as quietly as I could. The door opposite opened, frightening me. It was Mrs.Milgern, the old woman that smelled of cabbage and lived opposite us.

"Where are you going all alone this early in the morning?" She said looking down at me over her long hooked nose.

"Nowhere." I replyed, not giving anything away.

"You kids these days, never give a straight answer to anything." She murmured, shuffling back into her hovel.

I ran as fast as I could down the stairs, outside and round the corner. Oh no, there was the shop with the doors ak locked up, but I was so sure that it was a 24hour one. But then I remembered it was sunday. I still tried the door even though I knew it would be no use.

I walked home wishing with all my might Mum would come home and sort Ayden out. Back home Ayden was cring so much I was sure his tiny lungs would burst out of his chest. I had no idea what to do. Mum had said a couple of hours.

I turned on the telvision but made sure to put it on a low volume. The last thing we needed was the sound of kids programmes added to Ayden's crying. The neighbors would come knocking for sure.

I remembered back a few years ago when we were living somewhere else in another flat. Mum had one of her boyfriends then. They'd had a big argument because he'd hit her and they were shouting so loud. One of the neighbors came round to make sure things were okay and if they were could they please be quite as her kids were trying to sleep. I'd had to answer the door, Mum and her boyfriend were shouting so loud. Obviously not convinced with my story of how things were fab she'd rung the police and we'd been chucked out and told we'd be given somewhere else to stay. But Mum was having none of it. She'd packed our bags, told the council to stuff it, told her boyfriend to stuff it and we'd gone and stayed in a hotel for a few nights.

It had been great but a few nights later we were sat in a building in front of the council begging for somewhere to stay because we couldn't afford the hotel anymore. Thats how we got this flat.

Ayden finally calmed down as he watched the bright colours and shapes dance across the screen. I placed him in his bouncy chair hoping he'd keep quite for another couple of hours. I lounged on the sofa grabbing my book that I'd been reading from the table.

It was called Extra Homework. I'd found it at a library where we used to live and forgot to give it back. I'd told Mum I should but once we'd moved she said she couldn't be bothered so I'd got to keep it. It certainly wasn't a book I wanted to keep. There were some horribly rude words in it. I'd thought it would be about a sweet young girl that went to school and something drastic happened with her family or her school work. However I was very wrong. It turned out that this girl was incredibly slutty and her "Extra Homework" was to sleep with the teacher. I showed Mum it straight away but she said don't throw it out because it might help me learn when I'm older. So I tried to read it every year and see if it made any more sense to me than when it did back then but I've had no luck so far.

I settled to struggling with all the strange words while Ayden became facinated with the pictures on the screen.

Although I was reading the words on the page my head was worrying about Mum. I tried to push the annoying niggling feeling to the back of my head but somehow it managed to charge forward making me lose focus on my book. I gave up and put it down.

Thoughts were circling my head like vultures picking at me and making me weak. Perhaps she had been hurt? Or taken? Or something terrible like that. Maybe she'd decided she was fed up with us and didn't want to look after us anymore?

I hit my head in frustration trying to knock the silly thoughts from my head. It didn't work. I checked the clock and saw it was only 4:17am. I sighedand rubbed my eyes. I wished I could fall back to sleep and then when I woke up it would be back to normal and Mum would be back.

But I couldn't just fall to sleep. I had my brother to look after.

But in the end I had to give in so I picked him up and put him in his cot ignoring the constant screams for food and dove into my own bed pulling the covers right up over my head and fell asleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SMALL CHAPTER I KNOW BUT HAD TROUBLE WRITING IT WILL TRY AND MAKE NEXT ONE BETTER BUT ANYWAY PLEASE VOTE AND COMMENT THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!XXXXXXXXXXX