Chapter 21

I turned and saw mum's face red as a beetroot and ducked to the floor in fear, expecting a strong blow to make contact with my face any moment. But it didn't come. Instead I heard muffled shouts of frustration. I looked up carefully in case it was a trick or something. Mum was being held back by a struggling Dr. Phelps who was huffing and puffing as he tried to shove my mum out the door.

"Can I get some help here please!" He shouted and a couple of nurses hurried over. They only looked about 19 and not very cabable of taking a violent woman away. Nevertheless they tried but only to be thrown back into a wall scowling. They muttered something to Dr.Phelps and ran back out the room.

I couldn't help but notice Ayden's lolling head as mum jerked around not bothering to make sure he was okay...because all she cared about was hurting me.

I stood up cautiously. "No Elena-umpar-stay back please-arrggg!- we don't want you getting hurt!"

I ignored his advice and instead made my way towards mum. She stopped struggling against Dr.Phelps but the hateful expression stayed more defiant than ever. I held out my hands.

"Mum...give Ayden to me?"

She looked confused for a second but clutched Ayden closer to her chest. "Mum? Please?"

Her arms extended, and suddenly my brother was with me. She looked pained but it seemed all her muscles had given in. Like she couldn't be bothered anymore because it didn't matter what she did. Seizing the opportunity Dr.Phelps grabbed mums forearms and steered her out the room leaving my to sit on the floor and try to subside Aydens cries.

I sat there for two whole hours and nobody interrupted me. It was just me and my brother with nobody else in the world.

After the two hours Dr.Phelps arrived with a look of seldom on his face. "Elena? Are you okay?"

"Where's mum?" I asked without looking up from Aydens chubby face, his baby blue eyes.

He walked towards me, "She's okay. Well she's not. Elena I think I should tell you whats wrong. Your mum isn't very well as I guess you had gathered and she might not be better for a very long time. She needs to go into hospital. Elena you may have to go into care."

"Care?!" I shouted looking up making Ayden jump. "I don't want to go into care. Can't we go live with someone else till mum get's better?"

"I'm sorry Elena but there is no-one else. Your mum is in no fit mind to tell us a decent place for you to stay."

I racked my brains. For any inkling of hope. Anything at all. I really didn't want to go into care. That was where all the bad people grew up. My mum had told me. You'd get bullied in care. Pushed down stairs, heads down the toilet...and I'd get split up from Ayden.

"But...but we could stay with...uh with..." I stuttered. There had to be someone!

"I'm sorry Elena. There's nothing we can do. Someone will be coming to pick you up shortly."

He turned to leave looking pitiful but just before he disappeared through the door I cried, "Can I see mum?! Please?"

He walked back in. "I'm not sure. She's calmed down quite a bit but I'm not sure she'd want you to see her how she is."

I screwed up my face in frustration. I just wanted to see my mum! "Please Dr.Phelps. To say goodbye?"

"Come on then." He reached out for my hand, which I took, and we went up some stairs. Along the corridor and finally we were stood outside a door marked 'Visitors Office'. Dr.Phelps placed a finger on his lips telling me to be quite then pushed the door open slowly.