Chapter 6

Although the shower water is hot—too hot for my liking—I continue to stand beneath it anyway, lost in a plethora of thoughts. I've lost track of time in here, leaning my back against cool tiles and overthinking yesterday. As much as I tried this morning, I cannot get my mind to wrap around school work.

Tomorrow is Monday and my song choice is due. As much as I want and need to finish this assignment today, I also want to spend more time with Killian at the bar. He's trying to impress me. He said it himself. Perhaps I am just a distraction for him on his break and he just wants to help me with my project? Yesterday involved flirting, though.

The shower starts on the other side of the wall, causing a smile from knowing that Killian is its inhabitant.

"Will you spend the day in the bar with me or should I serenade you to draw you out?"

I laugh and rinse my hair free of conditioner. Even though I know I have work to do, I know I won't accomplish anything until I see him again.

"I might be down there in like a half hour. Don't you dare sing to me."

A low hum and vibrato begins, and I know he's about to sing me "Over and Over".

I turn off the water, eager to stop him from going any further and knowing that I'm about to cave.

"I'll be down there in fifteen."

"See you soon, Emma."

His laughter that follows is contagious and my smile grows wider. I cannot wait any longer to see him. I have to know if what I felt yesterday is still there.

I get ready quickly, grab all of my notes and my phone and leave my room with dampened hair. The tee, skinny jeans and flip-flops I chose creates the most casual look I've had since getting here, but I'm too eager to care. I make record time descending the stairs to the first floor.

"Hey!" My arm is clutched by Ruby midway through my lobby rush. I didn't even see her.

"Hey," I reply, startled and unprepared to run into my best friend at this very moment. "Just getting in? It's like noon, Ruby."

I feel terrible that I don't even care what her answer will be. I'm more worried, wondering if Killian has already walked through here. If he was here right before me, Ruby would likely be a complete spaz. If he hasn't been through here yet, I'll have a lot of explaining to do and our day at the bar will be compromised. More than that, his hiding will be too.

"Yeah, I found this incredible club last night! No hookups, just crashed with some other girls from school at another hotel so we didn't have to walk home drunk. We should go back tonight! It was really fun." Even she seems surprised by her night of being responsible. "Oh! And Humbert was looking for you. Maybe he will be there again tonight. I think he likes you, Em."

Oh, I'm aware. Boss Man found me.

"I can't, Rubes. I don't have a song yet."

"Seriously?" Appearing shocked, she holds her hand to my head to check my temperature. "I picked mine yesterday."

I can honestly say, this is a first. Ruby finished her homework before me. The thought makes me nauseous.

"I'm having a lot of trouble with this one. I just need some time to think. I'll talk to you later, okay?"

I turn away from her before I hear her answer, unwilling to allow her to offer her help. I know she would, I could tell by the look on her face she was worried.

When I enter the bar, pushing my interaction with Ruby to the back of my mind, I find Killian sitting on the same couch from a few days ago. His facial expression goes from solemn to a grin as he spots me. Once again, I'm feeling some major fluttering within my stomach at the sight of his smile.