Chapter 9

"Hit refresh again."

I had already hit the damn f5 key at least fifty times in the last half hour, but it wasn't enough to please my best friend. Professor Tomlin's punctuality with updating our class site was failing us tonight. This was the first time I didn't have Killian's blessing with my song choice and needed to know if I deserve this as much as I think I do.

"Nothing." I drop my chin into my palm and sigh heavily.

"Hit it again."

"Ruby, I've hit it like ten times in the last minute."

A faint knock at the door of my hotel room comes just as Ruby threatens to steal my computer with a sharp tug at its screen. Both of us look up to the door with quizzing brows, wondering who the heck would come to my room. I'm not exactly close to anyone else in class other than Ruby and I know Killian wouldn't dare knock at that door knowing someone else is in here.

With Ruby still distracted by the door, I yank my computer back from her grasp.

"Fine. I'll get it." She huffs, leaving the bed to pad across the room to the door. "You keep pressing refresh."

I mutter a few curses under my breath, striking the key with my finger, only to watch the damn screen appear exactly the same as it did a moment ago. When I hear Ruby open the door, I lean myself in my chair to see an older, stocky man with a bald head holding a gigantic bouquet of the most beautiful yellow tulips I have ever seen. My breath hitches in my throat.

He was taking notes.

"Emma?" The man peers from the name on the card up to Ruby. His Irish accent is thick with a smile that could only be described as jolly.

"No." Ruby's big blue doe eyes widen from the flowers and then to me. Her finger lifts in my direction while her jaw practically drags on the floor. "That would be her."

I abandon my desk to accept the clipboard from the stranger holding the gift that I know came from Killian. I sign my name, thanking him for the delivery, and take hold of the tall cylinder-shaped vase. Long leaves of various wild colors cascade over the sides with the vibrant yellow flowers poking out from various directions. Their scent is nothing short of heavenly, filling the room with the smell of spring. Before I can even set them on the desk, Ruby grabs the card I hadn't.

"Ruby!"

My arm extends in panic to swipe the card back. Ruby turns her body quickly and hunches herself over—out of my reach—while freeing the small card from its silver-colored sleeve.

"It's a date, Emma. I can't wait to see you. Meet me at our spot at eight. -K," she reads the card aloud.

My ass drops to my bed and I exhale with major relief. He didn't release too much information that could lead my nosy best friend to discover who I'll be seeing later.

"Em, those flowers are absolutely gorgeous and look ridiculously expensive."

She's absolutely right. They look as if he paid a small fortune on them. Ruby continues to hold the card up with one hell of a questioning stare. Last time we talked about him, I had mentioned that I thought whatever Killian and I had shared was done. We are obviously not done.

"What?" I giggle awkwardly, trying to avoid a conversation I really don't want to have. My smile totally gives me away, though. I can't help it. After the kissing last night and flowers today, I am giddy.

"K?" Her own lips curl into a smile. "What's his name? Obviously, they are not from Graham."

"Killian."

Lying to her would only make things worse for the day she finds out—if she finds out.

"So, this seems... serious?"