Episode 2 - The Star-Spangled Man

SPOILER WARNING!!! Anything that will be discussed in this chapter will contain Easter eggs that exist in Episode 2 (or prior) of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier. The material in this chapter could include details that result in accurate predictions for the rest of the series. As always, I ask that you make your comments purely about Episode 2 (or prior) of TFATWS. Comments about future episodes should be posted on each episode's chapter. This is to help people who haven't seen the most current episode we discuss at the time.

I am including specific theories that reference possible character and storyline spoilers, but I will do my best to note these.

THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to this episode! It was awesome and I appreciate all your hard work! Your submissions are peppered throughout with tags. If you didn't get a chance to submit or have any other ideas, please comment!!!

You have been warned! Let the hunt commence!

Previously on: Sam on his mission for the US Air Force, overlaid with Rhodey's quote from the episode #1 "World's a crazy place right now. Alliances are all torn apart. The world's broken."; Sam giving the shield over to the Smithsonian, saying that "symbols are nothing without the men and women that give them meaning" as well as thanking Captain America (referencing Steve), saying "but this belongs to you"; Bucky being asked about his nightmare in therapy, before flashing back to the nightmare in #1, including when he shot Yori's son; Bucky's therapist saying "You've got your mind back, you are being pardoned. You're free." to which his responds "to do what?"; Torres showing Sam the symbol of the Flag Smashers in the Tunisian marketplace, switching to the footage from Torres' phone of the cop being thrown against the light post just by the kick of the Flag Smasher outside the Swiss bank; Sam seeing the unveiling of new Captain America.

John Walker preps: Walker removes the label that is currently on the locker to reveal where it says JW 10. Clearly JW stands for John Walker. Obviously, "10" would represent his jersey number, but I'm not sure the significance of 10 in relationship to this character. Please weigh in with ideas!

Lemar Hoskins is a character directly pulled from the comics. In the comics, Hoskins is a friend of John Walker and together they go through the process to become super-soldiers via the Power Broker's serum (we'll hear this referenced more throughout the episode). Hoskins goes by the name "Battlestar" in the comics, which we will hear him refer to himself later in the episode.

Walker says that he's been doing a lot of suits, speeches, and senator meetings. While Steve had to do a lot of meetings in the beginning when he was being used as propaganda, I also couldn't help, but think of the other Avengers like Natasha and Tony. Both of them, in particular, were required to attend senate hearings, and we saw in many instances handling political situations. Clearly the political maneuvering isn't limited just to that of Captain America, it is part of the role of a superhero.

Walker says that he wants to get away from the political things and "just do the job." This mirrors Steve's drive to get to work and do the job of helping people in CA:TFA. Hoskins then says "Star-spangled man with a plan and all of that," a direct reference to the propaganda language used in reference to Captain America in CA:TFA. SydneyAussiePShermanBooksRule4ever0-Wakanda_forever-, and DaisyDisney all pointed out that moments later, as Walker is running out on the field as the new Captain America, Cap's theme song from the '40s (Star-spangled Man With a Plan) plays. This is the name of the episode and points to the question of who is the real Captain America and what is his role in this fight.