i'll catch you when you fall

Louis began bracing himself for the possibility of tears at the sad look in Harry's eyes when he had said the title of the song. He looked almost broken. He offered Harry a kind smile before turning back to the counter opposite Harry to prepare his tea.

'i'm in my bed
and you're not here
and there's no one to blame but the drink
and my wandering hands
forget what i said
it's not what i meant
and i can't take it back i can't unpack the baggage
you left'

Louis could already feel that he was going to be hard pressed to not cry into his tea. This song was going to dig deep into the dark depths of how Harry felt after everything had happened and seeing as how Louis knew exactly how far down he sank, he wasn't sure if he was ready to find out how far down Harry had gone. He tried to distract himself from the tears burning the backs of his eyes by pouring some of the hot water into a mug and placing a bag in. He could still feel Harry's eyes staring from just behind him.

'what am i now?
what am i now?
what if i'm someone i don't want around?
i'm falling again, i'm falling again
i'm falling
what if i'm down?
what if i'm out?
what if i'm someone you won't talk about?
i'm falling again, i'm falling again
i'm falling'

There is nothing more isolating than the feeling of being so lost that you can't even recognize yourself anymore. The moment when you reach such a deep low that you're no longer comfortable being alone with yourself. You convince yourself that there is no way that you could possibly fall any farther down but then you find yourself falling again, even lower into the pits of your own head. All you can do is just sit there and tear yourself apart until there is nothing left but the over analyzed fragments of your past.

'you said you care
and you missed me too
and i'm well aware i write too many songs
about you
and the coffees out
at the beechwood cafe
and it kills me cause i know we've run out of things
we can say'

That verse hit a little bit too close to home for Louis. Quite literally with the fact that the cafe was located in Doncaster but also figuratively with the whole mention of writing far too many songs about him. Harry clearly had written the vast majority of his songs about Louis and the same was true the other way around. All of these songs held the words that they wanted to say but were too afraid to admit, like the fact that they still cared and that they missed each other. This last line almost reminded Louis of the song he had heard earlier, 'two ghosts'. He could remember the emptiness that you feel when you finally run out of new things to say to the one you love, and he thought that 'two ghosts' captured that feeling perfectly.

'what am i now?
what am i now?
what if i'm someone i don't want around?
i'm falling again, i'm falling again
i'm falling
what if i'm down?
what if i'm out?
what if i'm someone you won't talk about?
i'm falling again, i'm falling again
i'm falling
and i get the feeling that you'll never need me again'

Well, clearly he did need him. He needed him then, he needed him now, and he would continue needing him forever. Louis could also see the other side of the argument because he too had felt that terrifying feeling of 'what if they never need me again?' Louis finished adding the milk into his tea, took a sip, and slowly turned back to Harry who now had tears welling up in his eyes, but he had managed to keep any from falling. Louis walked over to him and placed himself between Harry's knees where he was seated on the counter. He wrapped both of his arms behind Harry's back and let his lower hand slip into the flannel in order to trace soothing circles into the dimples at the bottom of Harry's back. He kept his eyes locked on Harry's and he didn't dare look away. Harry closed his eyes to let a tear push out of his eye and he placed his forehead gently against Louis', bringing his arms to either side of Louis' waist in order to pull him in as close as possible. Louis closed his eyes as well and focused on holding Harry tight and breathing him in.