Jem and Tessa

The ocean stretched out forever in front of Tessa Gray. It stirred like a disappearing dream, so close, but retreating as fast as you can follow it. The low sun reflected off the surface like glass on a summer evening. The waves that lapped the shore were the exact colour of those eyes, the precise shade that she would never forget. Blue as the first day she set eyes on him, blue as the fleeting time he had spent with her, blue as the love they had shared. Like sapphires shining defiantly through the century between them, defying all laws of space and time - all matter shriveling in comparison to their love.

All but the man sitting next to her. His hair, once silver as the drug that killed him, was now black as the approaching night. His arms once wrapped with the language of the Angel, were now littered with old scars. His kind face, that was before defiled and hidden from her, now lit up with the light of the setting sun.

His arm was held around her shoulders protectively, as if shielding her from the cold. It was working. When she was close to him, to the warmth of his body and the blanketing comfort of his words, nothing could touch her. She lent her head against the curve of his collarbone, and he pressed his lip to her hair. He murmured soft words to her in the language of his ancestral home.

'Wǒ ài nǐ, Tessa,' he whispered to her in the night. I love you.

Another chinese proverb he told her of regularly, was:'yǒu yuán qiān lǐ lái xiāng huì'

Which, loosely translated, meant: fate had us meet from miles away, which was very true, in this case. The pull of destiny had brought Tessa from New York and Jem from Shanghai, ultimately leading them to this moment. Sitting by the ocean, doused in happiness and drowning in love.

=----------------------------=

The first time she walked into their new house, Tessa had felt at home.

She had only felt this in a few select places throughout her life. The London Institute, her apartment with Caterina in London during the war, her house in New York when she had finally found Jem again.

And now this beautiful house in Cornwall, that felt like family.

But the things that made her favourite places were always the people that filled them. Charlotte and Henry, Sophie, Gideon, Gabriel and even Bridget with her... interesting style of song. Caterina Loss, her friend and fellow warlock, who had guided Tessa on and past Will's death. Who had shown her the Spiral Labyrinth and all the wisdom it contained. Magnus Bane, who had taken care of her in Paris when she had fled London in grief.

Most especially, though, the two loves of her life. Will and Jem, connected forever as Parabatai. A bond that held them together even beyond the impassable barrier of death.

As she walked in, hand in hand with Jem, she felt her heart filling with an elated happiness like something she knew. Like she was feeling deja vu and vertigo all at once. When she had seen Will holding their children and looking up at her, smiling like she was his reason. When she had found Jem again. When Kit had agreed to living with them and joining their new family. And now, opening the new chapter of her long life to come. A chapter full of twists and turns. Full of happy times and inevitable sad ones, but filled to the brim with hope. With Marriage and children and memories to make.

Now jem turned in the hallway, his face putting the summer sun to shame with its brightness. She felt the hope and happiness and love radiating off him like heat.

He held his arms open to her and she rushed to him, losing herself in the safety of his embrace. She was happy. She was hopeful.

She was home. 

A/N

Ok, here is my first story. Please comment what you think!

—Harry