II - Kit and Ty

A/N

This is a story about Kit and Ty set on Kit's  travel year. 

High hopes for the coming series Wicked Powers in 2022, to be centred around Kit Ty and Dru. I can't wait that long!

Kit Herondale was excited.

He had been looking forward to his travel year for a long time. After stories from Jem and Tessa about all the places they had been, he couldn't wait to explore them all himself.

He was to start off in Paris, making his way around Europe for a few months before portalling to the Melbourne Institute in Australia. His plan was to only stay in Paris a few nights, but he soon became enthralled with the city.

Before he had left, Jem had spoken to him alone.

'Sometimes in life there are things that we feel we have to do. Follow your gut. You cannot plan a travel year meticulously, you never know what will turn up or what obstacles will find their way into your path. But whatever happens, you have to follow your gut. It is the prized organ of the Shadowhunters! Apart from muscles. Are muscles an organ?' Then he went off to find Tessa to debate the fact. For a previous silent brother, Jem could be dumb sometimes.

But what he had said stuck in Kit's mind as he said his goodbyes. What things would he find? What obstacles would he overcome?

There was only one way to find out.

=----------------------------=

After a lengthy train journey (no portals available) to Paris via the Eurostar, Kit was worn out. Which was something of a miracle, seeing as he had been sitting for hours on end. He hadn't even encountered a demon on the train, which he would have welcomed to break up his boredom. He endured, though, as a shadowhunter should, and ended up walking out of a small station into Paris.

First he would be staying in a small apartment on the outskirts. This was near the Paris Shadow Market, that Jem had told him about. He had explained that Kit's mother and father had been here, and this was where Jem had first encountered them. He wanted to know the places they had set foot, where they had stayed and left their mark, where they had been all over Paris. Just being here he felt closer to his parents, however far away they might really be.

As he laboriously climbed seemingly endless flights of stairs, Kit wondered where he would end up. Where would he be in a week? A month? At the end of his travel year would he be ready to return home or left wanting more of the world?

Finally nearing the top, Kit hoisted his bags onto his shoulders one last time before reaching the top. His first accomplishment as a traveller! For some reason he felt very proud. His euphoria evaporated once he stepped inside the room, replaced with awe.

This place was amazing! The walls reached up like trees to the sun, the ceiling high and vaulted, with so much space. Alcoves in the walls housed old fashioned oil lamps that were, for now, switched off in the place of a huge window. It was something of a marvel. Wide and large-spread, they let in enough light to bathe the whole room. The bed in the far corner was magnificent. Silk sheets elaborately folded with throws and pillows of different colours adorning it.

As he took in the room, Kit gaped. He had never seen anything like it. Any moment he expected someone to come in and throw him out, show him to the peasants quarters and say 'back to where you belong,' but no one did.

Maybe he should have been warned against getting accommodation advice from Magnus Bane.

After settling into the room, Kit left to explore. He was only a 10 minute walk outside of Central Paris, and picked up a croissant on the way. Happily nibbling his pastry, Kit strolled down Paris boulevards, along neatly cobbled streets and passed terraced houses decked with flowers. He could see the Eiffel Tower in the distance, but today was not for tourism. Today was purely for scouting purposes. He had learnt, in the brief time in the presence of Jace Herondale, that scouting was essential. Even on holiday, you had to know the lay of the land so as to be effective in any future demon fighting exploits. At this, Clary had walloped him hard on the head saying 'You will not scout on our honeymoon!' And then blushed. It seemed Clary blushed a lot more since the engagement.