11 - Revelations

"Now I come to think of it, I believe you're right." Theo reached out to help me up, but I edged away, unwilling to risk another touch. He let his hand drop, the slight smile on his face not matching the sadness in his eyes. "Sorry, San, you have been a great friend, and I never meant to hurt or deceive you. It's just that I have to figure out this situation myself, first."

Unlike Guillaume, who was at ease with being a ghost and even enjoyed his afterlife, Theo seemed troubled by his condition. I wondered when he died, but found it rude to ask. Conversation with ghosts wasn't my specialty. Despite my high sensibilities and ancestral gift I'd never planned a career as a psychic. "It's fine, aside from the fact I should have seen it earlier. I've never met a ghost driven by so much life force." And such a sexy one. Why do I always fall for the wrong guy? But this wasn't the moment to delve into self-pity, not as long as the number of loose ends kept growing faster than my knowledge. "Why did you pretend to be a ghost hunter in the first place?"

"I don't know. I need time to work things out. My brain is like a mushy sponge dribbling liquid, or unrelated memories, in this case. The first time I realised something is off was in the car today. When we left Corbières behind, I felt lost and vulnerable, almost transparent. As if my soul were bound to the place and moving away ripped it out of my body. The closer we got to the castle with the boat, the faster my spirit and motivation rushed back like a tide, only to ebb away on the way back."

I clambered to my feet and dusted my bum. "You sure were in your element close to the cottage, you almost sparked with spectral energy. This can't be a coincidence."

Steps on the gravel behind us interrupted our private discussion. The two British ladies joined us at the parapet. Alice smiled. "Did you have a good outing today?"

I chuckled. "An interesting one, I'd say, although the wind kept us from investigating the cottage. What's your verdict, Theo?"

His lopsided grin looked natural enough. "An epiphany of sorts, yet I don't know if it's the good or the bad kind. As an extra, we got a free shower on the way back." I adored his humour. He knew for a few hours he was dead and still cracked a joke.

Catherine grinned. "So it was really you with the boat? Alice won our bet, then. It looked crazy from up here, thought you'd capsize any moment."

"The waves weren't that bad." Despite my words, a shiver ran down my hurting back at the memory of the bumpy ride. "Steph had that rubber beast under control, and we all wore life jackets." Not that Theo would have needed one.

"You look exhausted, dear. Come, it's time for dinner. Food will revive your spirits." Alice scrutinised Theo's pale face. "Yours too, young man, you either need to get out into the sun more often or eat a healthier diet."

I doubted anything could revive my deceased partner, but refrained from stating it. Best to keep his secret between us for the moment.

In the yard, we headed for the sunshade where we had our first encounter with the ghost ravens two days ago. It seemed like an eternity. While we sat down, I glanced at Theo. Was he the reason the birds had left us alone after the first unpleasant incident?

Matt joined us minutes later, carrying his pad under his arm and a smug smile on his face. "You look kind of ashen, still feeling seasick?"

The innocent question drew a chuckle from Theo. "I'm fine, considering the circumstances. Did your photos turn out?"

With a grin, our partner activated his pad and placed it between us. The screen showed the grey wall of the cottage, the bleached and cracked wood of the window frame, and the empty flowerpot on the sill. But what drew my gaze was the pale face lurking in the dark window, distorted by smears on the glass. Theo stared at the picture as if he'd seen a ghost. Which he probably had.