Raven - an epilogue

Raven stirred on his perch on the gable, running his beak through his feathers, contemplating.

The bird had seen the tenants of the castle come and seen them go, had witnessed birth and death, joy and pain, love and hate. Rare were the times he felt compelled to meddle in the lives of humans.

Alas, sometimes, he was drawn to an event, driven to take sides by an ancient force. 

This time, things turned out well. An old wrong had been set right, three lost souls had found rest. Raven had enjoyed flying with the flock, spreading chaos and mischief in a world full of noise and colour. Satisfied, he prepared to return to his realm of darkness and silence, ready to rest with his fellow ravens.

But wait. Was this a stirring in past shadows, another unsolved puzzle beckoning him into action? A nagging unrest took hold of him, told him it was time to move on.

Without regret, Raven spread his wings and took flight, leaving the gable of the cottage behind, following this new calling. Upwards, he crossed the dark waters of the lake until he burst through the surface, where warm night air ruffled his feathers and a gentle draft carried the spectral bird high into the sky.

Through a crack in the dispersing clouds, the waning moon painted the raven's coat a shining silver as the ancient ghost followed his destiny.