{nineteen}

{in which: karl had a plan}

***

She camped out in her room the rest of the time, contemplating why she even had wasted the money to come see her family. Nothing was the same with them and she couldn't even figure out why she was shocked that they still treated her how they always did.

The small pain in her chest wanted to seep away fast but something wouldn't let it. She hated growing up and seeing her dads true colors, she hated it and almost despised him for the trauma he gave her, he was the reason she flinched, the reason she didn't want to trust people, the reason why everything in her life is so confusing. He's the reason she can't process her feelings correctly, he's the only reason.

Her thoughts were obstructed as she heard her door creak open, looking up she met her mothers dull eyes. "Mija," she whispered, reagan looked away but felt the bed shift as her mom took a seat at the bottom of the bed.

"Mija look at me," she demanded in a low tone, reagan abided and looked towards her mother. "Im sorry. You don't deserve this, I wish your dad saw you as I do, he just doesn't get how much you care, he doesn't get it but i'm sure he will one day," her voice still low as it cracked ever so slightly. Reagan looked towards her mothers eyes to see them brimming with tears.

Everything seemed to go down for reagan at this point. She was in some sort of love triangle that she wanted to break out of, it was all for the fact that she can't sort out platonic feelings from romantic, another thing she can blame her trauma for. She never felt attention, so when these boys waltzed into her life and gave her a taste of what she was missing, she was bound to fall harder then she would have liked to admit.

But even with her life it wasn't just karl and quackity. Everything changed this year, family, friends, and even herself, she changed. All because of a law lecture, and a kid who couldn't believe myths over facts.

Breaking from her thought she looked up from her lap to her mom who sat silently at the bottom of the bed, waiting for a single word from her daughter. "I get it, it's okay, i'll be fine mom," was all she found herself responding, the pit in her stomach wanted to just give up and collapse into a wallow of tears. But the trooper in her just wanted to attack her problems head on, which obviously would end in a bad result.

"What gime are you heading out?" her mom asked, she looked toward the door, breaking eye contact with her daughter. "I'll be gone by 10:30, i left your presents by the tree. I'd rather you both open them when i'm not around," her voice was barely above a mumble.

"Okay mija, have a goodnight," she walked up to reagan and pressed a small kiss onto her forehead. Reagan sighed as she watched her mom head for the door, turning to her daughter one more time before she left the room.

***

She sat at the airport now, she even wished her dad a goodbye...even if he was passed out drunk, in her book that counted. She couldn't wait to be back in california, that came as a shock to herself as she watched the people walk through the airport. The happy people heading on vacation with their friends or family.

International love blasting in her AirPods as she waited for her flight to be called, she only had a few minutes left. Her head swarmed with thoughts, where is alex? what's he doing today? how's his..

She audibly gasped out loud as her flight was called, but that wasn't the reason she gasped. She looked at her lock screen, the date read the 27th, it was the day before alex's birthday. She quickly opened her phone to text him as she quickly picked up her carry on, heading for the boarding spot.