Suitors Round 2

The brothers found themselves enjoying a nice morning together. As always, they would wake up at 5am sharp, getting ready for the day. If it was possible, they would join each other for breakfast, eating in the gardens, the dinner hall, to even each other's rooms.

It had been a liberty they had both been allowed to have after their uncle had entered a small seclusion. The reason had been unknown, them speculating he needed a rest from his duties and took care himself. Others said that he had witnessed an event that drove him off. Having had raised them, he had enforced them to always eat in the proper place.

This morning, they found themselves enjoying their time in the garden area. Right in the middle, there was a small, elegant gazebo, with a table inside it. It was filled with simple platters, fruit on the side.

Between them, there was only silence as they enjoyed their meal, but they could hear the sounds of nature around them. Birds would chirp, water would sound from the koi pond. It was a calm environment.

Servants would give them their privacy, only being around to take the used utensils back to clean them. Once satisfied, they stayed with their cups of tea, having small talk.

Lan Xichen would talk about today's plans, another day filled with three sessions. Lan Zhan would nod along, hearing the visitors he would be having this time around.

Once again, the ladies would be arriving later in the day, leaving him space to get ready. This time, he had already laid down the outfit for the day, knowing there was a chance he would not be in his room until later.

They both had a pleasant conversation, Lan Xichen stating how he had received a letter from their uncle. He was well, having enjoyed the time he took. Meditating day and night and reading. He mentioned how he might be coming back at the end of the year.

It was not that far away in the future. His brother winked, saying how he would try everything in his power to let them continue having these nice views. There was not much one could say against the king, and Lan Xichen was just great with words.

Their talk was disrupted by a servant heading their way, tears present in her eyes, not having fallen yet. She bowed to the king and prince, asking forgiveness for having interrupted them. The king only smiled back, taking a handkerchief from his pocket and offering it.

She took it with gratefulness, wiping her eyes. She told them how king Yao had been asking for many things in their absence. It could be inferred that he had been complaining about his stay.

The people from their castle would never say that he was trouble, but he was. Not being the most preferred visitor of them all. In between the servants, they would have to choose who would attend them, none wanting to.

It seemed that this time around, he had not been satisfied by the temperature of his bath. Not being warm enough he had said. The maids had bowed profoundly, going back to reheat the buckets.

It had still not been enough, insulting the girls and making them come to their king. Another servant had come to see what had happened, having heard noise coming from the room. He stayed to comfort the girls, giving them sweet words. It had not been their fault, it was alright.

She had left them, heading to follow the command of the king. She looked expectantly, to see what could be done. Lan Zhan saw how his brother almost wanted to let out a sigh, smile becoming more forced. It would not have been noticed by any other than him.

While his brother tried to solve the problem, attending an agreement with the servant, Lan Zhan zoned out.

He thought about how the man who comforted the girls was probably Wei Ying. It was not fair to other servants, he knew full well that they were filled with good employees. He still could not stop his heart from fluttering at the idea that he would help distressed girls though.