Arrival of Letters

He was walking normally, you could ask anyone, this is how you walk when you are completely calm. Maybe if he kept telling himself that Wei Ying would start to believe it, better than being anxious like how he has been for the past few days. Could you blame him? He could be getting a letter from his old home at any moment.

He had tried asking the ladies what they had written in the letters, but they had decided to keep it for themselves. Very rude of them, he wanted to start imagining possible answers that his siblings could have sent his way. He had tried to keep asking them when they would arrive, but it seemed that they had gone back home before he could get an answer.

He was really excited to be able to hear about his siblings and how they were doing, he assumed that his brother had already taken over some of the duties of the kingdom. He hopes that he was at least more relaxed, having him away would take some of the competitiveness that they used to have. Maybe Madam Yu had gotten a bit softer on him now. Wei Ying also wondered if his sister was doing well, knowing how she tended to worry too much sometimes, she was just too caring for her poor heart. He would like to know if she had gotten married already or if she was still waiting.

The only information he was able to get afterwards from the matchmakers was when the letters had been truly sent and where he should expect them to arrive. They had a secret messenger that worked for only them and their needs, they could bring them to special areas. Not wanting any information to go through the rest of the Lans, they had decided that the forest would be a good enough place to leave the answers.

If he walked deeper into the woods, past the lake, there was a small stream that broke from one of its sides. According to the instructions, he had to follow it until it reached a small area with rocks, it was kind of hard to tell which ones were the specific ones, since they were everywhere. Wei Ying had walked for a while, until he hit this place with rocks that seemed to form different shapes, almost as if man made. He was pretty sure this was the place.

There was a tree stump close to there, where the supposed letters would be placed. It had a hole to the side that helped keep them safe from the rain if they were ever caught in it. Wei Ying made sure to check every day in the morning, waking up extra early and then once at night. He started doing this around 3 to 4 days after the messages were sent.

He went every day, never missing a day no matter the reason, he had tried to forget about it during his duties and time with Lan Zhan, but he was fairly sure that he seemed more jittery than usual. It had taken up so much of his thoughts that he had even forgotten that letters needed time to not only arrive, but to also be sent back. He should have waited a bit longer, but he enjoyed hanging out around the stream anyway, it was refreshing and a nice place to draw.

They had finally arrived the day in which he had free. Lan Zhan had headed out to do something business related in a village a bit far from the castle, so he didn't need to worry about him for now. He had planned to stay all day here and wait, having even brought some snacks to pass the time and his journal to either draw or write.

He had been so excited, throwing away what he had brought and running to grab them. Unlike his past behavior, he went for them as carefully as possible, trying to not dirty them or cause any wrinkles. It surprised him that there were two letters in the place, both having different seals belonging to both the Lanling Jin and the Yunmeng Jiang kingdom.

Wei Ying was confused for a second, trying to figure out what the Jins would want from him, could they still be mad about when he punched Jin Zixuan by accident. Well, it wasn't necessarily an accident, but no one had to know. The peacock had insulted his dear sister, what did you expect from him?