the only way

"Trust me, I'm not an infant," El says over her shoulder. Mike rolls his eyes and crosses his arms. The flaps of the tent whip in the wind, and Mike is not properly dressed for this weather. 

El places her communication device in her ear and spins around. 

"I just want you to be careful," Mike says, his voice soft. El picks at her combat uniform, making sure it's secured perfectly. She then grabs Mike's arms and stares him in the face, giving him a reassuring smile. 

"It's just another monster, Mike. This is what I'm made for. Now, don't stress about me, stress about what movie we're watching later tonight," She pats his arms and pushes her way out of the tent, her loose braid waving in the wind. Mike follows her out and over to the main tent.

"It's about time," Hopper says, looking her up and down, "Where's your pin?" 

"You really want me to wear that thing? I think people know who I am without a big USA pin on my arm." 

Hopper just sighs at the girl in front of him. He directs his attention back to the board, where detailed pictures of the monster are placed along a map. Before he can even start briefing her, she points to the red x in the center of the map.

"Let me guess, this is the portal? The nest? Either way, I have to make it here, and somehow shut it down?" El says in an unimpressed voice. 

Hopper rolls his eyes. El might be cocky, but she's the best agent they've ever had, so he puts up with her constant bullshit. 

"Correct." 

"Well," El says, clapping her hands, "Let's get this show on the road. I'm getting cold." 

She pushes past the other agents and over to the edge of their basecamp, staring off into the forest. She knows it's infested with those nasty creatures, but she knows they're no match for her. 

"You ready?" Mike asks, coming up behind her. He wraps her in a big hug and she leans into him. 

"Not at all," She says, turning in his arms to face him. She pokes at the pin on his shoulder, "Nice pin, Mr. America."

"Since you won't wear it, I have to. I pull it off better than you anyway," He teases, squeezing her again. El stands on her toes and kisses him, then pulls out of his grasp. 

"I beg to differ," She laughs. The pair stares at each other until she hears a whistle blown from across the camp. 

"My cue," She shrugs, turning on her heels and walking back to the entry point. 

"El," Mike calls. She turns around and he points to his ear, "I'll be here the whole time." 

"Oh great, my guardian angel!" She laughs, before disappearing around a corner. Mike shakes his head and migrates over to the comms station, where he sees a map with live updates of El's whereabouts. He takes a seat and logs in, proving his status as an agent. He turns on his earpiece and tests it out.

"El?" He asks. 

"Not now, Mike," El pants back. He can tell that she's running through the forest, and her mission has begun. 

"Yeah, not now Mike," Hopper echoes in his ear. 

"Oh, you're here too," Mike responds quietly. 

"Do you wanna get fired?" Hopper shoots back. Before Mike can answer, El cuts them both off. 

"Can you all shut up? This is my mission, remember?" 

The line goes silent as she makes her way through the forest. Mike's eyes are burning onto the map, watching her slowly close in on the hub. When her little red dot approaches, the line crackles back to life.