celebration

It was a celebration. 

The whole town came together on that warm summer night. The air was perfect, even as the sun was setting. Food carts and games filled the field, almost reminiscent of the fourth of July fair from earlier that month. 

The smell of sweet barbeque and the sounds of laughter filled the air. Everyone was together, all celebrating one thing. Well, one person. 

That one person sat at a picnic table in the corner of the field, her face deep covered in butter as she gnawed on her third corn on the cob. She wiped it off with a checkered napkin and set it back in her lap, laughing at the joke one of her friends just told. She leaned into her boyfriend, her head fitting perfectly on his shoulder. 

She turned around when she felt a gentle tap on her shoulder. A woman stood there, her curly hair perched on top of her head. A small child clutched her leg, burying her face into her mom's skirt in nervousness. 

"Hey, darling, sorry to bother you," The woman said, gesturing to the little girl, "But would you mind taking a picture with her?" 

"I would love to," She said, standing up from the picnic table. She bent down in front of the little girl and stuck her hand out, "Hey there, what's your name?" 

The little girl peeked out from her mom's skirt, "Annie," She whispered. 

"What a beautiful name. I'm El," She stuck her hand further towards her and the little girl reached out for it. 

"Alright, you two, smile!" The woman said, positioning her camera to point at the girls. El pulled Annie closer, wrapping her arms around her and flashing her brightest smile. 

"Got it!" The mom said, putting the camera back in her purse. 

"Nice meeting you Annie," El said gently, giving her a high five. Annie was beaming. 

"You're pretty cool," Annie admitted, before running off towards a group of children her age. 

"Thank you so much," The woman said, reaching out to shake El's hand, "I'm Megan."

"I'm El," El responded, shaking her hand. 

"I know. You saved the town, ya know? You saved the whole world." 

"Well-"

"Oh, you don't have to be humble for me. You're a special girl, El. The world can never repay you for your help." 

El blushed and tucked her hair behind her ears. 

"Well, I've gotta go track down Annie. But thanks again, El. For everything!" Megan called over her shoulder, running towards the group of kids. El sat back down at the table and felt her boyfriend's arm slide around her shoulders. 

"Do you think that's ever gonna get old?" He asked, nodding behind him where the photo was taken. 

"It won't last long," El shrugged, leaning back into his shoulder. 

"El, you're practically a superhero. It's never gonna end. You're like... A celebrity now," He said, pointing at her, "I'm dating a celebrity!" 

"Mike," El muttered, playfully punching him in the stomach. He groaned and lowered his hand, squeezing her tighter against him. 

"El?" A voice came from behind them, causing the pair to turn around. A man with a clipboard stuck pointed over to the stage on the other side of the field, "They need you over there in five minutes."

"Thanks," El saluted, then turned back to the table. She began to stack the paper plates and napkins when Max reached across the table and grabbed her hand.