22

INDIGO

I was walking through the Rebel base again, side-by-side with Wolf. There was a moment of silence between us, leaving my mind free to wander back to earlier. 

As I left the conversation with Trysha at the Blood Battles, my eyes drifted up to the Assassin box. The Alderidge's and Cormac's were still there—I could see them better from my new position. Again, I thought of how much they did for me and how much they lost for me. I couldn't leave them hanging. And Wolf was right. If they kept searching for me, it was possible that they would unearth the Rebels and put everyone at risk. They might've been kind, but they were still Assassins loyal to the Crown. They would kill every last Rebel, children and defenseless included.

I needed to let them know I was alright without telling them I was here or they could use my presence to track down the Rebels. So, before I even told Wolf what I learned, I asked him for a piece of paper and a pen. Surprisingly, he had both with him.

After thinking for a long moment, I wrote out the note slowly and in the best handwriting I could muster.

I am a friend of Indigo Fluor and would like to notify you that she is safe and sound. However, she does not wish to be found at this time. She says that she misses all of you very much and will visit each of you when the time is right.

And, for the Alderidge's, keep your white rose bushes intact. Indigo loves to visit them on occasion.

I most likely wouldn't ever get to see them again, but I could hope. Maybe someday, when all of this passes over, I'll get to truly the Alderidge's for all that they've done and explain to the Cormac's what really happened to Axe. It was a futile hope, one that had little chance of becoming a reality, but it was all I had left. An inkling of hope.

Holding the note tightly, I snuck into the Assassin box using different servant tunnels and sticking to the shadows, and then approached the bartender in the area. Pretending to be a loyal Assassin, I ordered Mrs. Alderidge's favorite drink and asked the bartender to deliver the note with it.

I snuck back out before the note was delivered. I didn't want to see their reactions. I wasn't sure if I could handle it.

Cree came running down the hall, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"You're right," he told me as he held out a piece of paper. "One of our spies managed to steal a Raven's plans. It only talks about the parts within the city, but they're trying to smuggle something through here."

Wolf nodded as he took the papers and asked me, "And how did you know this again?"

"The Ravens were talking about how they suspected that the Rebels got their plans and needed to be more careful."

It was a lie, clearly, but a necessary one. I wasn't comfortable with telling him about Trysha. If he didn't trust me, then perhaps I shouldn't trust him back. Not after everything I've been through. At least, not until he's earned it.

"And you're sure the thing that they're smuggling is your mother who they're planning on kidnapping from Cressida?" Wolf asked.

Cree's eyes widened as he looked between the two of us. "It's your mother?"

I nodded to both of them.

"That's one hell of a coincidence," Cree noted, though it wasn't accusing but rather a remark.

I shrugged, trying to keep my face straight as I felt Wolf's grey eyes stared down.

"So, are we going to intercept her?" Cree asked.