Chapter One - Jefferson

Jefferson sat upright in his bed in the darkened room; his eyes fixated on the cell phone screen. His thumbs worked furiously, creating grotesque shifting shadows on his face. He thought he heard noises coming from the kitchen, probably Mother getting supper ready. He continued playing passionately, throwing punches, kicking, and shooting to subdue his adversary and reach the next level.

Suddenly, light streaming through the doorway caught his attention. His mother stood silhouetted in the room entrance. She had come this far, so Jefferson assumed she was trying to say something to him. He took off his earphones.

"I called from the kitchen three times, and I got no answer." Mother looked perturbed. "I know I sent the words down the hall, but it's evident you didn't hear me with those earphones swallowing your ears. It looks like winter in this room, dark and gloomy, and with you sitting in bed wearing earmuffs."

Jefferson was used to her rants and quickly turned her off.

Mother continued as though he were still listening. "Oh, there they are. The words I sent down the hall. They look like they've gathered themselves at the foot of your bed." She reached down, picked up three large pieces of cardboard, and flicked the bedroom light switch. Jefferson hadn't noticed the cardboard pieces when he entered the room, but then he had not turned on the light.

Mother sat on Jefferson's bed, held the first piece of cardboard in front of him, and turned it around, and Jefferson read, "COME." The second one read, "FOR." The third read, "SUPPER!!!!!" in large letters.

Jefferson had to admire her creativity. He replied, "I'm close to being finished this level; give me ten minutes."

Mother stiffened, and Jefferson wasn't sure if it was a firm voice or only loud, but there was no misunderstanding the word, "Now!"

Jefferson returned his ears to the confines of the earphones, and his sixteen-year-old frame trudged down the hall. He slumped in his usual place at the table across from his mother.

Mother brought out the supper, roast beef, baked potato and freshly picked peas from the garden, and set the food in front of her son. "It's your favorite meal," she said, trying to smile. Jefferson only had eyes for the small screen in front of him.

Since there was no movement from Jefferson, Mother started to dish out a portion onto her plate.

"I miss having conversations around the table," she said.

Jefferson grunted to simulate his usual portion of the conversation.

"Help yourself," she said, trying to sound charitable.

When there was no reply, Mother placed her hand over the cell-phone.

Jefferson lifted his head. "What are you doing?" he grumbled.

"Are you going to eat something?" she asked.

Jefferson removed his earphones. "What?"

"Are you going to eat something?"

"No, my friends and I went for pizza after school," he replied. "I'm not hungry."

Jefferson saw a fire in his mother's eyes. She snapped, "Why didn't you tell me? I work a twelve-hour shift in a nursing home. I come home; I'm tired. I make your favorite meal, and after I'm through, you have the nerve to tell me you're not hungry?"

"You didn't ask," came the lame reply.

"When are you going to grow up and take some responsibility around here?" Mother continued her tirade. "All you ever do is disappear in your room and play your video war games, killing humans, monsters, and vampires. You know what I think of all the violence in those games and how they depict women. You are anti-social, and your marks were terrible this past year."