11. pounding heart

"Dakota?"

I turn to see a frown on his face as he bites his lip somewhat nervously, gaze darting to my lips for less than a split second before returning to my eyes. "Mmhm," I hum quietly, taking a moment to look at our surroundings before noticing that my feet have stopped moving and Axl stands directly in front of me with a worried expression, hands still holding mine. Just as my heart beat had slowed down, it picks up again as I wait for him to say something.

"Would you, uhm... Would you mind if I kissed you?"

My mouth falls open at his humble request, my breathing increasing noticeably. The anxious tone of his voice and frantic flickering of his eyes between my own, tells me he genuinely wants to kiss me. I would be a liar if I claimed to not have imagined what it would feel like to move my lips along with his. With a spinning mind and shivering body, I manage to straighten my back after he squeezes my hands in his, encouraging me to give him permission or not.

"No," I breathe in a tiny voice, watching in amazement as his eyes brighten tremendously and a small smile tugs at his lips.

He gingerly removes one hand from mine to cup my cheek, a jolt of warmth cursing through me at the slightest contact between us. With one last glance at my eyes, he leans in to press his lips to mine, igniting every cell in my ice cold body. Instinctively I tilt my head, our noses brushing ever so lightly as the world disappears more and more with each second passing by.

A heavy exhale is felt against my skin as Axl slowly parts his lips before touching them to mine again in the most delicate way possible, his fingers cautiously moving to my hair while my own rest on his chest between our bodies. If he wasn't holding my face to his, I would surely have melted into a messy heap of bones and oversized clothes on the sidewalk. A perfect mix of warm and cold lips moving together isn't up for comparison.

My heart feels as though it may explode, and Axl's heavily pounding chest beneath my fingers is enough evidence to know he's feeling the same way. The captivating moment comes to an end all too soon when Axl pulls his face mere inches from mine, lips still brushing and eyes fluttering open. I meet his gaze and smile at the sight of him studying my face with sparkling eyes, an unreadable glint granting me its first visit since I met him.

"You're so beautiful," he whispers after catching his breath. My heart nearly leaps out of my chest at his confession, knees becoming weak as I clutch the fabric of his shirt in my hands to stay standing and maintain the last bit of dignity I have left.

"What?" I ask although I heard every syllable leaving his magnificent lips.

"I think you're beautiful, Dakota," he repeats, caressing my cheek with his thumb.

My mouth dries almost instantly as the words finally seem to reach my brain and settle somewhere in the pit of my stomach after squeezing their way past my heart. I stare at him in confusion, wishing he would've stayed silent after ending the kiss. I suddenly feel nauseous.

My gaze falls to the ground, black converse shoes becoming the most interesting thing in the world. The frayed and tattered look is a dead giveaway that they've been worn for years, the once white parts barely seen now as the laces struggle to keep each shoe in one piece. I refuse to buy a new pair as long as these function well enough for my liking, which they still do, but I also have to remind myself of the real problem. I wouldn't be able to afford a new pair.

Just as I'm about to remove my focus from my feet to Axl's tennis shoes, his deep voice snaps me out of my distracted state.

"What's wrong? Should I not have kissed you?" he quickly catches on to my change in mood, reaching his other hand up to my face as well. I can't bring myself to look at him, but I can vividly imagine his eyes brimming with worry.