35: Pick Your Poison

Dedicated to innerchanel
--------------------¤------------------- 
~°~

It's no fairytale.

Some people are an elixir and others are a venom.
You must learn to distinguish - who will empty our existence, staining you with their crude poison.

And who - with their aura, will ignite and enrich your soul.

-Clairel Estevez

But what if you find them both in just one person?

~*~

The shock in her eyes was prevalent. More than her presence was.
William looked at her for a moment, maybe trying to grasp what's wrong even after her covering her dilemma well.
He is an observer. That Jeongguk had noticed the moment he met him. The way his eyes had rested on their handguns had Jeongguk conclude that. Keen? That he can not say just yet.

As much he had wished to experience a sense of joy upon surprising his past girlfriend, he didn't.
Instead he was caught off-guard.

It wasn't the panic in her eyes that caught his attention. On the other hand, he anticipated it.
Neither was it how fragile and weak her hand had felt in his, he had felt it before, way too sincerely that it hadn't left his memory and soul since then.

It was the emptiness in her eyes, that caught him off guard.
Far gone was her brown wavy hair, it was straight and raven now.
Far gone was the innocence and anticipation in her eyes, they were empty now.

He averted his gaze from her. He thought he'd enjoy the shock which she had in her eyes upon seeing him, and he did. But it lived short. The moment she moved next to her husband, practically avoiding his existence, all he could feel was anger.

It was eleven years ago, should have been a forgotten memory by now, but that was not the case with him. It had not failed to haunt him even for a single night. Every time he'd close his eyes all he could see was her.
Yes, she had left him. Without a closure, without a goodbye, without a freaking sane excuse for doing so. And that had kept him burning, all this time, in his anger. His anger with her, with the stars for not supporting his love for her. And for the biggest part, his anger with himself, for being stupid enough to love her, like that.

She was the radiance that had brightened his life.
She was the sweet drug that he'd gotten addicted to.

She was the poison that had stabbed his heart, and left it just as helpless as hers.

And having her now avoid him, did nothing but fuel the fire that has been burning him for the past eleven years.

Him clenching his jaw and exhaling a stressed sigh didn't go unnoticed by her.
She knew that it was the anger that had made him do so, and that she was the reason behind it. But only if he knew that it wasn't for her to decide.
It never was.

"So shall we start the investigation now?" asked Jeffery.
"Yes definitely."

"I shall take my leave now. Thankyou very much gentlemen."
William said, unbuttoning his coat buttons, before motioning the officers towards the foyer.