part 3

Evelyn

I kissed my son's head as I laid him on his bed.He slept during our ride back to our home.Noah closely followed behind me.

I adored my little baby's innocent while he snored softly.He had his share of fun tonight,I could not be more thankful to Noah who spent the evening  to make Avan happy and enjoy his childhood like other kids.

I knew I could not be both mother and father but it was all I could do.I managed to shower him with great love and care still he missed his father.

I could not help the tears that rolled down from my eyes.My child longed for a thing that I could never give him.Noah did not had to think twice as he pulled me into a warm hug.

"Shh it's okay Evey.He is a mature kid and he understands your situation.Trust me I'll be always there if he ever needs anything."He swooned me and I cried more on his shoulders.

"I am a terrible mother Noah.I am keeping him away from his father,who deserves to know the existence of his son do does Avan about his father."I hiccupped.

His face turned stiff and his eyes darkened,"No way Evey.That man does not have a right to be called an amazing child's father.Did he ever try to know about you tell me?Did he show his care when he leave you all alone and committed the blunder that he must not if he planned a life with you."Noah asked and like always I had no answer to any of his questions.

I blinked the fresh set of tears.

He rubbed my shoulders,perhaps he sensed his harsh tone.

"I am sorry Evey.I didn't mean to hurt your feelings but I can't see Avan getting hurt either."Noah said.

"Still I won't be able to take a father's place in his life,when he grow up,he would face the harsh reality of his parents?I won't bear such breakdown.I am scared of the possibilities in near future.Soon he will start asking about Asher."I let out my most dreadful fear.

"Don't blame yourself Evelyn and stop worrying about the possibility that isn't going to happen.You are lucky to have a son like Avan.He will never do something which may pain his mother.You nurtured him with good morals Evelyn and he understands you like no one can."He placed a hand over Avan who stirred in his sleep and woke up.

Our silent moment broke when Avan got up rubbing his sleepy eyes.

"Are you crying Mommy?"He frowned touching my wet cheeks by his tiny hands.

"No baby Mommy is fine."I smiled hiding my pain from him and lifted him on my lap.

"Why are you sad Mommy?"He snuggled on my chest while I wrapped my arms around him protectively."Is Uncle Noah staying with us tonight?"He asked.His eyes lit up.He adores Noah to no limit.

"Is it okay with you if I stay tonight?I don't want to intrude your privacy but I would like to spend a night with my champ.I do own a right on him as his godfather."Noah gazed at me while stroking Avan's hairs who clutched on me indirectly requesting me to agree.

"Sure.You can sleep in my room,I'll stay with Avan."I smiled.It was crazy to let him stay in my house because I still felt uncomfortable under another man's close presence though Noah had been the best friend I ever wished for.He was my angel in disguise.

"No Mommy he will sleep with me."Avan protested and jumped in Noah's lap.

"Baby Uncle Noah has a huge body.Your bed is too small for him to fit."I try to make him understand.I didn't want Noah to face any inconvenience as he did a lot for us already.

"Then we'll sleep in your Mommy's room simple."Noah winked at Avan before I speak.

"Great idea superman!Lets go in Mommy's room and you know we three can sleep on her big bed."Avan chirped excitedly.

My eyes bulged out of their sockets.No I could not imagine sharing my room with another man let alone sleeping on the same bed as him.

"No baby Mommy will sleep here okay.You both can enjoy man to man night over."I said.Heat rushed on my cheeks out of embarrassment.

"Evey he will be sleeping in the middle of us."Noah stated.I looked at him puzzled who gestured me to glance at my weakness,my son who was stared at me with loads of hope in his grey eyes.

Another pair of grey eyes which compels me everytime to give up into them.

"Okay."I sighed in defeat.

"Yay Superman Mommy let's go.I am sleepy."He yawned yet his excitement was not less.

Noah picked him up and we made our way to my room.I opened the door for him to enter first.Noah carefully laid him down in the middle of the bed and adjusted beside him.I stood by the end of the bed clutching the fabric of my skirt tightly in hesitation whether to take next move defying my loyal heart to Asher.

"Mommy."Avan called out my name and patted the space on his vacant side.

I nodded my head and in great discomfort I laid on the far edge of the bed.Avan grabbed both our hands and closed his eyes with a broad smile on his face.

"Good night Mommy,good night Superman."He wished us before falling into deep sleep.

Making sure he was fast asleep,I carefully slipped out my hand from his grip and caught Noah staring at me.His face bore the same emotion I dreaded to encounter the most.

Longing and hope.

Hope for a woman who herself middling in her web of uncertainty,whose future veiled by a thick fog of insecurity and a challenge ahead to raise a child alone,a woman who had gone through heart break twice by a single man.

I slowly got up and went out in my living room.The lights were off.The only source of the light was street lamps filtering through the window pane.The pitter patter of the raindrops disturbed my internal peace.The temperature was falling terribly.

I rubbed my shoulders to provide warmth to my gradually shivering body.I heard faint footsteps nearing.

Noah stood beside me looking at particular nothing.

"I know it's kinda awkward after the whoke thing back there.I want to apologize to you if I make you uncomfortable because it will be the last thing I want to do Evelyn."He said and next I felt warmness engulfing me.I realized he wrapped a blanket around me.

I broke our stare,ashamed to make my best friend feeling low of himself.Everyone has right to like someone and his act could not be misjudged.He never crossed his line.

"Its okay.You didn't."I forced him an uneasy smile.

"Evelyn I'll be lying if I say that I want to be more than just a friend for you and a permanent place in Avan's life but at the same time I fear rejection for the second time."He leaned on the window.

My heart fluttered but the matter I was broken and full of insecurities.He perfect in every sense yet my heart didn't find him as a replacement of Asher who gave me nothing but miseries except my baby.

"Its okay take your time.I don't want you to feel suffocate in this bond."He shook his head.

I could observe disappointment even in the blurred lights.

"You must sleep now.Avan has a habit to wake up once in the middle of the night whenever it rains and thunders and he will panic if he find none of us."I said.

"Good night Evey.You too need a good sleep.You are taking an off tomorrow Evey.You seem extremely tired and I won't buy your denial this time."He said in finalty.

"Good night."I wished him and went back in Avan's room torn in exhaustion.