Chapter 2: Masquerade Gala

Chapter Two

I walked out of the back of Rousseau's with the bar manager, Mark. "Thank you for coming in," Mark smiled. "You're a life saver."

I chuckled softly, "Thank you for giving me the job."

"How could I not? You have the experience. You made me the most amazing meal. And you come from a family I admire," he said, nodding to my sister who was bartending at the moment.

"Oh, so it has nothing to do with being your first love?" I smirked, raising a brow.

"Bye, Gem," he laughed. "I'll see you bright and early Monday morning."

"Later, handsome," I teased.

"I'm married," he sang playfully. I rolled my eyes, waving him off. He waved back, talking to a few people in the kitchen while I headed out into the front. I slowed my walk as I saw my sister pouring a drink for another fellow blonde.

"Aren't you dating Marcel Gerard? He's a pal of mine...  sort of. I heard he had a crush on the blonde bartender at Rousseau's," the strange woman was speaking.

"I would hardly call it dating," I interrupted, narrowing my eyes on the lady. Gorgeous, British, and knew too much. Sketchy. Protective big sister mode, on. Literally her and Marcel had their first conversation yesterday that resulted in a ten minute date. She was not dating him.

Cami chuckled, eyeing me in amusement. She did not pick up on my, I don't like this girl vibe. "He's wooing me. Well, sort of. I don't know. I mean, he's very charming, which probably means I should run for the hills," Cami told the stranger. "Oh, meet my sister, Gemma. Big sis this is, uh, um... sorry didn't get your name."

"Rebekah," she introduced, holding out a hand towards me. I shook it to be polite. Younger me would have looked her up and down and scoffed. But I was an adult now, a mother. I had an example to set. Not that it would hurt to show Cami it was okay to have a backbone instead of being nice all the time, even when people don't deserve it.

"Charmed," I smiled tightly, forced, while taking the free bar stool next to this nosy stranger.

Rebekah nodded dismissively at me, turning back to Cami. "I'm kind of in an on again, off again thing myself at the moment," Rebekah said.

"Those are the worst, aren't they? The ones you can't shake, even though you know better, and you always know better?" My little sister laughed.

I rolled my eyes. Wait until either of them tried being married. "I like you, Cami. Most girls have the unfortunate tendency of being whiny little twits," Rebekah replied, giving me a side eye. Oh, no the hell she didn't.

"Thanks," my sister said before her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Then she added the words, "I think."

"Hey, I'm supposed to go to this posh charity thing thrown by this philanthropist tonight. He's a bit of a Gatsby, throws a mean party. Any interest?" Rebekah smiled.

"Only if my big sis can go," Cami smirked over at me.

"Sure," Rebekah agreed, shrugging. But then she turned to face me. "I look forward to seeing you both. It's really fancy, big costumes... A whole ordeal for this masquerade gala. Can't wait to see what you wear. Oh! Let me give you the address," she said, grabbing a napkin. "Pen?" She questioned, turning back to my sister again.

***

"Pretty, mommy," Zach grinned, reaching to touch the dress in the box.

"Ah-ah! No," I blurted out, pushing his grubby hands away from the white wedding dress.