Chapter 8: Practically Stood Up

Chapter Eight

I huffed, checking my phone again. No messages, no missed calls or voicemails. Not a word from Marcel. It was a quarter past ten, and our date was supposed to start at eight. I felt like an idiot.

I was just sitting impatiently on my couch, in my tight leather dress. I couldn't believe this. I had got all done io and sexy for him. Figured things were going well, especially after last night when we fell asleep on the couch. I though maybe I could get a little sexy and we can have a repeat of making out. If not a little more. Turns out this dress was going to waste which was a shame. I bought it on Sunday for our date that I've waited all damn week to have. Yet here I was in my living room.

The only person I was in contact with was Cami. I FaceTimed her and the kids while I was getting ready. She said I looked hot, wished me luck and fun on my date. Then I sat and waited before texting her he hadn't showed at 8:30. We agreed I should wait it out. Maybe something had happened. Honestly, I was worried about him. Usually he cancelled our date early on. And last night and this morning he kept assuring me tonight we'd finally go. Said not even work would stop him. So what did stop him from coming? I had no clue.

I've called him twice. Once at 8:45 and again at 9:15. No response. I texted him at 8:30 when Cami suggested it. Then again at 9, 9:30, 9:50, and two minutes ago. No response yet. Which made me wonder if something bad did happen. I get running late. Or a work thing popping up. But he couldn't check his phone? That was odd. I also didn't want to jump into conclusions that he was in a car accident or something. Maybe his phone died. That was something stupid that always happened to men when you needed to reach them.

Mind you I was starving! I had kicked my heels off a long while ago. But I didn't bother making anything for myself, thinking Marcel was going to be late. Then by 9 I was just angry and too busy cursing his name to make food. Cami tried to calm me down, but it was no use. I reached out to Klaus who said he had no idea if there was anything going on, Rebekah wasn't home to ask or answering her phone. That fueled my anger more. Were they together? Is she the work thing that has made him cancel every single night thus far? Is she with him right now instead of me?

I tried not to think about it. Didn't want my mind to go down that route of thoughts. I had no business being jealous. It was also a foreign feeling to me. My husband and I never had that issue. There was no woman in his life, work or otherwise that I felt threatened by, and vice versa. So this envy I was feeling only made me furious with myself. I was not an insecure person. I hated this feeling. But I knew their history and the fact he slept with her not too long ago. I could feel myself obsessing over the thoughts of them. And I didn't like it.

I sighed, staring at my phone. I was ready to call him once more. If he didn't answer I was going to bed. I wasn't going to wait up for him. If he got into an accident on his way to pick me up, I figured somehow I would know about it by now. So I ruled that out. "Davina," I gasped. I could call her and see if she knew where her guardian was currently. She of all people should know.

I searched for her number in my phone. We had exchanged them the night she babysat. And she had sent me pictures of the kids during that time as well. "Hello?" She answered ok the second ring.

"Davina, hi. It's Gemma," I said, relieved she answered.

"Hi," she chirped happily. "What's going on? I thought you and Marcel were going out tonight. Is it over? Is something wrong? Or do you need me to babysit so you guys can go out again for a second date?" She questioned, giggling.

My shoulders sagged then, defeated. She had no idea where he was then. She thought he was out with me. Which he was supposed to be. I guess something really did come up. Why else would he tell her about our date, if only to stand me up? I mean, why lie to the child he cared for?