Confiscation

Tuesday, 24 Tamuz, 5693

Francis took the keys to his father's car, a black Mercedes which was just as luxurious as every other part of his parents' lives, and left the house early with the intention of stopping by the Light Post's office to pick up Jay Yakovi on his way to the central offices of Freitag's Secret Police, which were somewhat conveniently located in downtown Bevel. He had asked his father to borrow the car, which he allowed. Given the circumstances, it was almost unthinkable to Francis that he wouldn't have. It would have become quite a hassle to sort the matter out, otherwise, what with the travel time and special arrangements for Yakovi and the pamphlets... the pamphlets that they hoped to get back.

Francis pulled the car alongside the curb outside of the Lamp Post's offices, bringing it to a gentle stop just outside of the front door. No sooner had he done so than Yakovi took a step forward, emerging from his place beneath the shaded awning, and opened the door of the topless convertible with a faint smile and a courteous nod to his driver.

Francis looked at the experienced war-vet with a similar mood and returned the nod of personal acknowledgment. His partner was dressed to the nines in his old war regalia without exception, even brandishing his great Garman medal for bravery, the highest honor which could be bestowed upon a soldier, even one who fought on the losing side.

What hadn't happened over the course of the month? The Kingsmen development in Garma had become more and more complex, so much so, in fact, that the whole of the thing had come to a necessary head. After what seemed like an eternity of the Garman Kingsmen's microbial inspection of Bealer's appointment to the office of Imperial Bishop, a technical error had been found, or rather... developed. After that, all Hölle broke loose. A new conference with a new church delegation was demanded, a new state commissar was appointed as a fourth party to the meeting of the minds, and a new constitution was hammered out amidst fiery political pressure. In addition, members of Desnik's Protection Squadron had begun to occupy Kingsmen offices throughout the empire, and Bealer promptly resigned in protest.

As a result of the persisting spiral of chaos and in an attempt to maintain some semblance of order, Freitag had confirmed the meeting of Kingsmen leaders, their new constitution, and declared church elections to be held on the twenty-ninth. The nation, it seemed, was being engulfed in a bitter insanity, but Francis would have no part of it. Thus, he and his students had spent a long day working with Yakovi's helpers in order to print and develop election pamphlets promoting those candidates backed by the League of Reformers, pamphlets which were now in the hands of the Secret Police who had ransacked the Light Post's offices and confiscated them.

As the two men drove, Francis thought, and his thoughts became words or wonderings, as they often did. All of which culminated in him rather suddenly cutting through the verbal silence betwixt himself and his partner with the all too familiar words, "You know, Jay, something has occurred to me about those pamphlets and what our plan of attack might be going forward, depending upon the outcome of our meeting here."

Yakovi was sitting slumped down in the padded seat with his head back and his eyes closed, but he did not fail to grin at his companion, amused by him. "Francis, something is always occurring to you," he teased, "but go on and mention it. I'll listen."

"Yes," Francis said, keeping his eyes trained forward, straight on the road ahead of him, and he went on talking as though Yakovi had never cut into him for his many thoughts, so often aired. "Now, ever since the Protection Squadron began occupying church buildings, I suggested that we might stage a protest, that we should put a hold on basic state functions such as weddings and funerals, until the state learns to appreciate the church as an entity."

Yakovi opened an eye and gave him a skeptical stare. "You're not still on that, are you?" he asked, discomforted by his friend's fervor. "I know that you and Fritz had mentioned it, but come on! I mean, does the situation really call for all that? It seems a little extreme."