episode three: the planet cantendis II

It was overwhelming. The Doctor never usually had difficulty hiding her emotions, but stepping back out into the warmth of the place with her eyes now wide open, allowing the shimmering glow of the light cling to the tips of her eyelashes like specs of gold dust, she forgot all about pretence, about appearances, about Yaz, standing there next to her, while she let out a soft breath of air between them.

Those fears that had been tugging at her hearts fell slack, but somewhere within her, she knew, its ties had not been cut entirely, and hidden away, a gut feeling, swallowed up by her glee of this planet, still remained.
She looked away from the distance and towards Yaz, who had sat down where she stood, brushing her hand through the blue-green feathers of grass that stood as tall as her head.
"I know this is going to sound stupid but..."
"Yeah?"
She smiled. "I dunno, its almost as if...they're alive. The grass, the ground, the air, everything seems to just..."
"I know what you mean."

The woman could hear beyond the quiet, a buzzing, of life, in its purest form, and the sound brushed against her skin, and breathed evenly throughout the air around them. "I know exactly what you mean." The Doctor hummed, and began to lull, the soft sweeping of the air across her exposed skin and the beautiful warmth, it made everything inside her slow.
She shook her head fast to snap herself out of it.

"Right, come on Yaz, can't just sit 'ere all day. We've got some investigating to do."

Yaz smiled, and pushed herself up off the ground, brushing herself off, even though all that came away from her clothes were golden specs.

"Why's it always investigating with you? Why's it never cocktails, or beaches or meeting your heroes?"

"Because we both know you'd get bored." The Doctor said, walking ahead of her.

"I'd get bored, yeah, but I think you'd go insane."

"You implying that I'm not there already?" The Doctor grinned. "Oh! And never meet your heroes." Her grin instantly morphed into a frown. "They're always so disappointing."

The planet was the most beautiful the two of them had ever seen, and considering one of them had lived thousands of years now, it was the highest of compliments.

They walked together, Yaz leading the way and The Doctor treading behind, her boots scuffing the warm ground and biting her lip. If Yaz was aware of this unusual behaviour, then she said nothing of it, too involved in the mechanics of the beautiful planet, and throwing exclamations randomly over her shoulder about the beauty of it all. But then she stopped.

"Doctor?"

It took a few moments for her to stop, her neck carved upwards permanently to the sky, so much so, she bumped into Yaz ahead of her.

"Hmm, yeah?"

Yaz frowned, her crisp, bright features crumpling softly like paper. "You alright?"

So she had noticed.

"Yeah, I...I'm great. Just...in awe, I guess." Swinging her arms by her side and gave a wonky smile.

Her features fell further, eyebrows a horizon falling upon her beautiful eyes. "Are you sure? Cos you don't seem it."

"Yeah, like I said, you know how I get." The Doctor was becoming tired of the charade, tired of it all, and for a moment, she even allowed her face to fall, and it was such a small moment, she hoped Yaz had not seen it, but from the look that now wouldn't leave her mind, the look Yaz was now giving her, she knew she had seen it loud and clear. She had been looking for signs of The Doctor's lying, after all, and she had found them all so easily.