35. Phonoi Heart Poison (2)

Erebus still held on to the Devil's hand, but the his grip has become tighter.

"I want to hate this world, Acrid Doctor.  I want bring it into the shadows and choke it.  But I won't."

He pulled the Devil close to him and plunged his hand into the Devil's chest.  His hand grabbed ahold of the Devil's heart that has merged with the embedded crystal core.  The Acrid Doctor let out a gasp as blood dripped from his lips.

"When I was first given this poison, I took the heart of the person closest to me."  He said, his voice dark and malevolent.  It made the Devil shudder.  He felt cold from the aura emanating from Erebus, not the hand in his chest.  "I'm glad I choose the right target the second time."

"Sec...second time?"  The Devil asked weakly.

Erebus laughed and pulled his hand out with the Devil's heart. "Goodbye Acrid Doctor."

Erebus heard the Devil's body fail with a thud.

He coughed up black blood and fell down again.  He tried to calm his mind, but the madness was already clawing at him.  The poison was urging him to let go and to slaughter everyone.

[Kill the humans who have betrayed you in the past.]

I will kill those who deserve it.

[Kill the Spirit creatures who have closed their Realm from the world.]

They had their own wars to fight.

[Kill the Dark Elf Prince who caused you to fall to this state.]

My own carelessness brought me here.

[Kill the Amarok Wolves who have forgotten your best friend Fenrir.]

I will remember him for them.

[Kill the Shadowbane soldiers who have tainted their ways.]

I can guide them back on their original path.

[Kill the Deities for sending you back.]

Should I truly curse an opportunity if I am too weak to grasp it?  The Shadow Deity frustrates me, but I am eternally grateful to him.

He tried to reason with himself.  "I won't become a monster... not when there is a small thread of hope."

The poison pulsed again inside of him, tearing at his mind and making him crumple to the ground.  He held his hands to his head and cried out again.  His aura released, destroying the crystal lights and brought the basement into darkness.  Why was this time so much more violent?  He let out a sad laugh when he looked down at his chest. 

The petals have gone from five to ten. The Phonoi Heart afflicted the soul, not the body. His soul had not been altered, so he still had the Phonoi Heart in his soul from Jericho's betrayal. Now his soul was poisoned a second time so he would have double the affliction.

He felt his control slipped. He started to worry. Could he lose control? Will he lose to this poison?

Erebus laughed painfully. "Eri, I can't waste your life."

He lamented on his life. Last lifetime, he survived thousands of years after being poisoned and led the battles fought in the Warring Era. Then he endured a thousand more in the Soul Stone, and thousands more in the Nothingness. Now, he couldn't survive minutes under this poison. He was going to be corrupted. And if he was corrupted, he would murder everyone here, including Leo, the man he truly wanted to call a friend, the Amarok Wolves that reminded him of Fenrir, and the small fae child that called him big brother.