88. Engagement (2)

When Erebus became conscious again, he was laying down on the cot.  His eyes were still heavy so he didn't bother with opening them.  He was more comfortable in the dark anyway.  He recalled the conversation he had with Astra and berated himself.

However, he didn't make any sudden movements when he sensed two people enter the tent.  He could tell they were the Pulsar siblings immediately.  He felt elated to feel Astra sit down on the cot next to him and place a cold towel on his forehead. 

"Are you going to tell me about it?"  Leo asked, somewhat annoyed.

Astra clicked her tongue.  "What?"

"You're pissed, and Erebus is unconscious, his meridians weaker than ever.  Something happened."

Astra didn't say anything and just wiped Erebus' forehead. 

"Fine.  Don't say anything.  Just keep it pent up until it festers.  Then whatever relationship you wanted with him will dissolve before you could ever let it grow."  He let out a sigh and started to leave.  "Erebus is a good man, the best I know.  He is a master on the battlefield, and unrivaled with his daggers - even cutting through space with a swing of his blade... but he is clumsy with his words."

Astra still refused to answer.

"You're a Stargazer, someone who can look into people's' minds, except for his.  You have no idea what he is thinking and that must scare the hell out of you.  But I can guarantee you that he is more frightened than you." 

Leo was about to exit but turned back to her.  "You both deserve happiness, but the only way you can grab ahold of that happiness is if you communicate." 

He disappeared from the tent, leaving her with her erratic thoughts.

Astra let out a shaky breath, taking her hand away from Erebus' forehead.  But the moment she did, Erebus caught her hand and pulled it back while his eyes were still closed.  He was hyper aware of every movement of hers.

"Don't go."  He said hoarsely.

She stopped and caressed his cheek with her hand.  "Let me get you some tea for that throat."

He let her go reluctantly, but opened his eyes to watch her every move.  He sat up in the cot with a groan and found that his shirt was gone.  He circulated his mana and found that someone had been transferring mana to him to help expedite the healing of his meridians. 

Astra came back with a mug and sat next to him. "You heard Leo?"  She finally asked.

"I did." Erebus said with a nod.  "I am quite... clumsy with my words."

She shook her head.  "I'm sure the last thing you expected was a marriage.  You're a warrior, not a husband."

Erebus reached out and held her hand.  "A warrior can be a husband... If he is worthy of that privilege."

"Are we talking about worthiness again?  I feel like you are singing the same song."  She said with a sigh.

"I have a lot of baggage."  He said, his shoulders slumped as if feeling the weight of the baggage he mentioned.

"Is it because you were married before?"

Erebus faltered and his mug dropped to the ground.  It broke apart with a loud crash and the contents soaked the ground, but he hardly noticed.  He turned towards her sharply, but any words he wanted to speak were caught in his throat.

"I know you're not the 20 year old Human you claim to be.  You have lived a life before this one... a long life."  She said while looking at her own tea.  "You had experience so much before you have met me."