Part XVI: We Work Well Together

Much to your disapproval, Touya was reluctant to do almost any of your basic workouts: crunches, planks, side-straddle hops. Despite the cool weather on the mountain side, you'd been working up a sweat, but your friend looked just as uninterested as ever. You couldn't even give him points for trying. For each exercise, he put in minimum effort. There was no interest; no hint of that trademark fiery passion you'd known him for back in the day. You were growing bored. How were you supposed to get any real training done if he was just going to act like a lazy bum? Stiller always did your workouts with you, and he was an old man. You placed your hand on your hip, and gave Touya a look of disapproval.

"C'mon, Touya. You gotta give me something." You complained. Touya leaned his weight onto a nearby tree and stood slouched.

"What? You expect me to work out in this?" He questioned sarcastically, pinching the fabric of his long black coat. You rolled your eyes.

"It's not even hot outside. And even if it were, you, of all people, shouldn't be allowed to complain about the heat." You teased.

Touya's eyes seemed to flicker with a hint of interest at your words. You didn't think you'd said anything particularly exciting. "Eh, I ain't built for it." He said. He pushed himself off of the trunk and stepped closer to you. "Speaking of heat, though..." He began, completely ignoring your comment. "...we should work on your quirk." His eyes met yours with an intense, almost distressed, look. They didn't waver. You weren't sure, but you thought you'd seen it on him before. Though he was much better at concealing any emotion now, this one managed to sneak through just enough for you to pick up on. He was deeply troubled by something.

"Alright, sure. I usually do that after my regular workout, though, so let's finish-"

"We should start it now." Touya interjected quickly. That same expression was still on his face, masking the worry. You furrowed your brows, feeling a little offended at being cut off in the middle of your sentence. Touya didn't miss the hint.

"Sorry." He corrected himself with a quick apology. "I just think it would be more practical."

You rolled your eyes with a smile. He'd always been one to place quirk training at the top of his list of priorities, but your years of tactical practice taught you better. "It's all practical, Touya." You insisted.

He took a step toward you and reached his hand out to gently take hold of your arm. "Sure, but..." He ran his thumb over your bandaged wrist. You looked down at your arm. All of the hair had been singed off, leaving behind wispy spots of burned skin that were beginning to scab over. "Martial arts and physical fitness isn't going to help with this type of thing." He said bitterly.

So that was it. Though he likely wouldn't say it outright, his tone gave away his concerns. You placed your free hand over his. "Touya, I'm fine. Really, you don't have to worry. I can take care of myself."

He didn't look up at your face. Instead, an expressionless look rested upon his own as he answered: "You say that, but I seem to remember I was the one taking care of you these past few days." His comment felt like a jab to the gut- a direct attack on your pride. Your jaw sent slack as you were left stunned. You didn't think Touya would ever say something like that. You pulled your arms away from him. The look on your face expressed your disappointed disapproval. Touya sighed guiltily.

"I don't mean to sound like I think you're weak. You're not. I'm just..." He paused to take a breath through gritted teeth.

'Damn, don't choke on it...' You critiqued internally.

"I'm not particularly eager to go through that again." His tone was steady and serious, but his eyes displayed his genuine concern. Touya wasn't the best at conveying his feelings, but his words didn't make it sound like you were a load that was dumped on him; rather, they suggested he didn't want to see you hurt. It was comforting. You took a deep breath and exhaled with a tiny smile, finally giving in to him.