Part 7

AN: This took waaaay longer than planned and it's totally my fault: I kept adding scenes to it. But this is our longest chapter and we say goodbye to this little story. I hope everyone enjoys the ending! Thank you for every vote, comment and follow - they always make my day! I had this idea shortly after watching cloy the first time so it's been a joy for me to finally put it into words. Hopefully you guys will stick for my next stories too! Have a great week and stay safe and healthy ❤

Oh, and the piano piece mentioned in the third scene was inspired by the song La La La by Rachael Yamagata (yes, the one from Something in the Rain). You might want to check that out while reading :)

PART 7

Jeong-hyeok opens his eyes in alarm.

His breathing is short and shallow, his eyes are stinging with unshed tears and his heart is racing. It takes him a full minute to gather his surroundings, and it happens slowly. The high ceiling first, covered in wood. The pretty chandelier that forms a halo around Se-ri's head whenever she's on top of him. The sounds — quiet on the outside, small snores on the inside. His bedside table, with his phone and the book he has been reading.

He looks to the side, eyes already used to the darkness, and breathes out a sigh of relief. Se-ri, deep in slumber, one arm stretched out in his direction as if reaching out for him. Her hair is tousled and no lines can be seen on her face. She's relaxed, lips pouting slightly, content, finally resting. Beautiful, he notes, even in his slightly tormented interior. His eyes look up to the crib just a few feet from Se-ri. He can make out his child's profile as she sleeps, the way her tiny lips are pouting so much like her mother's, what little head she has on her head is tousled adorably. Both asleep, in peace.

Jeong-hyeok exhales slowly and presses his palms against his eyes. He reaches for his phone to see the time and it's barely over midnight.

They've been going to bed earlier, still adjusting to the baby, so this means he was asleep for nearly two hours only. He doesn't feel like going back to sleep now, even if he feels exhausted; it won't be long until the baby is hungry and will wake both of them again. Slowly, not making any noise, he slips away from the bed, not before running a hand through Se-ri's soft hair. He stands and walks around the bed to check on the baby too — the short snores enough to bring a smile to his face. He adjusts the soft blanket upon the baby's tummy, slowly, before inching his finger upon her hand — she grabs it instinctively, undisturbed in her sleep, and not for the first time he marvels in just how strong she is.

Their little gift. It's why they've nicknamed the baby Seon-mul* before the birth, even — they had chosen names but decided to wait until after birth to see if it fit. And since he contributed to the girl's name, it was only right that Se-ri chose the boy's name.

In the end, Seon-mul is the daughter they'd felt they would have, and Seo-yeon is her name — their little gift, and Jeong-hyeok will never forget what he felt when he heard Se-ri saying that to the baby for the first time.

"Seo-yeon-ah," she had said, hours after the birth, with her daughter in her arms, asleep. Tired, but so beautiful. He had stood next to the bed after handing her the baby with so much caution it may have taken him a few minutes. Se-ri had a soft, peaceful smile on her face then. To see that innocence, mirth, and strength in her eyes after long hours of labor and pain — it made him fall in love with her all over again. "I love you. Seo-yeon-ah, I'm so happy you're here."

She had looked at him then and just like that it had been decided.

Now, in present time, his little Seo-yeon is sleeping soundly and gripping his index finger in her tiny chubby fist. For a few moments, he forgets his nightmare completely; it's just what happens when he's with them. They make it all worth it. If there's a cure to anything he might feel, it's right here, between Se-ri and Seo-yeon.