Part 5

AN: I want to thank you for your patience because this chapter ended up longer than I expected and it took me a few days to finish it. We're going to cover a few episodes in the drama with this chapter. I'll let you find out which ones. Thank you so much for all the support and feedback and votes! I'm still pretty much figuring out how to handle Wattpad and I'm a little overwhelmed sometimes but I love every minute of it. Thank you so much for reading and I hope you'll enjoy this part!

PART 5

Se-ri wakes to beeps and voices and none of them are Jeong-hyeok's.

She wonders if she's still dreaming and it hurts to breathe — she can't find his voice, much like she couldn't find it in her dream. Hundreds of faceless people — and some people with faces that she wants to stay far away from — kept passing by her, and none of them were him. Much like none of these voices are his.

Her mind is completely hazy — it's as if she's just woken up from a very fuzzy dream, where nothing makes sense. She feels sore and exhausted, a little lost because she has no idea what day it is or what she's doing here. She vaguely remembers bits and pieces — driving the boys to the trap, Jeong-hyeok chasing Cho Cheol Gang, a gun pointed right at him...

It doesn't take her more than a few minutes to understand it all — that she saved him, and she's gone to surgery, and she's in the hospital and her family has just been kicked out of her room. Se-ri sighs and shakes her head when the nurse asks her if she feels nauseous, and tries to sit up on the bed. She looks around — the room is comfortable and good, but devoid of personal items. Whoever has been here didn't take much time to spend here.

Well, she thinks begrudgingly. That's what her brothers are good at.

She doesn't feel much, not physically, despite pure exhaustion and weakness, as if she hasn't been eating much or even drinking anything. In truth, Se-ri doesn't remember ever feeling this way, not even at her worst, all those years ago, while battling insomnia and eating disorders. Above everything, there's a restlessness in her heart — where is he? Has he left? Is he safe? Is he healthy?

Before any of these questions can be answered, however, a bunch of doctors comes in, just as the nurse is adjusting Se-ri's covers and pillow. Se-ri barely looks up, wanting nothing more than to be left alone — with her cellphone, preferably.

"Ms. Yoon, good to see you're awake," one of the doctors said, a man in his fifties. He quickly examines her eyes, the flashlight causing Se-ri to cringe a little. "You've been out for just over a day. Your reflexes are good."

Se-ri hums. "What exactly happened?"

"You sustained an internal injury on your upper thorax because of a bullet impact. We call that a pneumothorax," the doctor explains, checking her vitals and writing something down. "We performed surgery, and you lost a lot of blood. You may be feeling a little weak these first few days. But you should be fine."

Se-ri nods, feeling a mild discomfort as the nurse asks her to lift her top so they can check her stitches. Her mind is so hazy that she can barely think straight, only doing what they ask her to do. Once the doctor is satisfied with her recovery, he looks up, just as the nurse is helping Se-ri button up her top once again.

"I understand if this is a bit of a shock," the doctor continues, "but as you arrived a series of procedures had to be done before the emergency surgery. There was no update on your medical files regarding this. You are pregnant."

This makes Se-ri look up instantly, fingers stalling at their task. The nurse quietly buttons the rest of the top. The doctor merely nods, as if this is simply a daily occurrence.