Fifteen

Fuu tried not to let her sourness at Matsuri's presence stop her from making friends with the woman. She had wanted to turn around and leave the moment she saw Gaara and Matsuri talking and laughing with each other but she ran out of luck because the red head spotted her.

"Fuu!" He stood up from where he was seated among the designated table for family members (which Fuu noted sourly that Matsuri was sitting beside Gaara) and walked over to her. Now standing at his full height, Fuu felt her knees weakening at the handsome sight that was presented in front of her.

His new gelled back hairstyle needed a bit of getting used to but when she did, it was just perfect on him. Gaara was wearing a grey waistcoat on a maroon dress shirt that both brought out his chiselled figure and accentuated his hair and complexion. The man reached her with a smile and took her hand.

"I'm glad you could make it." He said, green eyes roaming her body. Fuu got embarrassed that she was wearing her birthday dress but Gaara didn't seem to mind. "You look beautiful." He complimented.

"Uh-" Fuu short circuited at the compliment and the utterly sincere way he said it. "You too." It took a moment for her words to register and when it did, she turned into a flustered mess trying to correct herself. "I mean h-handsome, not beautiful...not that you aren't beautiful- you're beautiful and handsome-!"

A deep chuckle froze her words and sent shivers down her spine. If that wasn't the sexiest thing she had ever heard, she didn't know what. "Thank you." The man said.

"Oya oya, who is this?" A new voice inclusion made all of Fuu's flustered mode fly out the window. It belonged to none other than Miss Matsuri, the latest source of her envious feelings.

"Oh Matsuri." Gaara smiled. "Meet Fuu."

"Hello." Fuu smiled pleasantly. She was not going to let her green emotion get the better of her.

"Fuu this is Matsuri, my-!" Gaara was cut off at that moment by a happy shout of his name.

"Gaara-san! It has been a long time since I last saw you!"

"Tenten-san." Gaara smiled at the woman who was carrying a little boy in a baby strap. It felt like a distant memory, when he still had feelings for her. "It has been a long time too." He replied and bent to face the baby. He was met with a chibi Neji clone. "Hello Tenji."

Tenji's birth had been a hot topic. He was one of the cutest celebrity babies out there. While Tenten and Gaara caught up to old times, Fuu and Matsuri got acquainted with each other.

"So Fuu-san, who are you too Gaara-kun?" Matsuri asked in curiosity.

"We're friends." Fuu replied easily even though she wished they were more than just friends.

"Friends huh?" Matsuri mused with her almond black eyes squinted at Fuu suspiciously.

"Uh yeah?" Fuu sweat dropped at the woman's antics.

"Moh!" Matsuri seemed to give up on whatever thoughts she had and grinned at Fuu. "Since I'm marrying into the Sabaku family soon and you're Gaara-kun's 'friend', I guess I'd be seeing you a lot." She outstretched her hand in a friendly handshake but Fuu was frozen on a spot.

Marrying into the Sabaku family?

The green haired woman looked down at Matsuri's hand and saw what cemented her thoughts, an engagement ring.

Fuu shakily took Matsuri's hand and offered her a forced, warm congratulations. The reception was about to start so everyone took their seats. Fuu distanced herself from Gaara though and managed through the event without bursting into tears. However the moment she offered the newly wed her congratulations and her gift, Fuu ran.