Chapter 44

(Fanart by macherpuppy on Tumblr.)

Gavin's POV

(y/n) closed the door and my mom immediately said, "I like her. Much more than Vanessa."

"Yeah. Me too."

"What happened with her anyway?"

"With Vanessa?"

"Yeah. I know I only saw her once at your wedding, but she didn't rub me the right way."

"It uh... didn't work out."

"Oh, Gav. What did the girl do to you?"

"Nah, I don't wanna bring the mood down even more. Doesn't matter anymore, anyway."

"Okay, well (y/n) seems like she's good for you."

"I hope so. She makes me actually want to be a better person, so I guess that's a good sign."

She smiled. "It is." She took my hand and held it weakly. "So what do you do in Detroit these days? Last I saw you, you were just an officer."

"I'm a homicide detective now."

"Well that's something, isn't it? I'm so proud of you."

I felt tears start to prick my eyes again. "Thanks, Mom."

"Of course, I also need to know how you and (y/n) met."

I chuckled. "Of course you do. She was a detective in Indianapolis, then she was transferred to Detroit. She's actually my partner."

"Wow, my son is a part of a work scandal?" She laughed softly.

I rolled my eyes. "I don't know that it's a scandal, but sure."

She kept wearing her smile. "I missed you."

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have cut you out for something that Dad did."

"You invited me to your wedding, that alone was everything I could've asked for. I just wish I could come to your final wedding."

I shook my head. "Mom, don't say that."

"I've made my peace with it. I'm ready for whatever outcome I get. In the meantime, I'll just imagine you marrying (y/n)."

I felt heat rise to my face. "Oh, Mom. I-I don't know if we'll-"

"You don't want to marry her?"

"Well... I-I do, I mean marriage is kinda soured for me, but I don't know if she wants to spend her life with me anyway. She could have anyone she wants, why would she pick me?"

"Have you looked in a mirror lately? You're a catch! You got your mama's good looks."

I chuckled. "Maybe so, but my personality definitely leaves a lot to be desired."

"You've been through a lot, Gav. And I don't even know what exactly happened with Vanessa. I'm sure (y/n) sees much more in you than you do in yourself."

"Probably, because she's perfect like that..."

"There's something. She's perfect in your eyes."

"Okay, Mom. Surely you want to talk about something else, right?"

"Yes, of course. I just want you to get the happy ending that you deserve. That's all."

(y/n)'s POV

We waited outside of the room in the awkward silence until Gavin finally opened the door. I pushed myself off of the wall and looked at him. "Finished?"

He nodded. "Yeah. I think I'm good to go back home."

"You sure? We could always stay another day."

"I got everything off my chest."

"Okay. We can go if you want."

We started to head back down the hall when we heard his dad's voice from behind us. "Gavin..."

Gavin stopped dead in his tracks, closing his eyes and pinching the bridge of his nose. I rubbed his arm. "It's your choice. He wants to apologize."

He glanced at me and sighed, squeezing his eyes shut again. "Fuck." He balled his hands into fists and turned his head to look back.

"I just want to talk, Gavin." His dad started to slowly walk over to us.

"I can step into the lounge if you want."

Gavin shook his head. "I'm really going to need you here for this one."

"Okay. Just don't start anything too bad, okay?"

"Don't tempt me." He slowly turned around to face his dad.

He stopped a few feet away. "I... I'm not going to ask you to forgive me after everything I've done to you, but I need to talk to you."

Gavin crossed his arms and scowled. "Go on. I'm listening."

"I'm so sorry... for everything. I was a horrible father. No child should have to suffer what I put you through."

Gavin simply stared at him, still wearing his scowl.

"I-I got help. I've been sober for 5 years."

Gavin huffed. "Only 5? So Mom had to put up with you even longer?"

"Your mother is a blessing, Gav."

"Don't call me that. There's no need to ruin it."

He blinked a few times. "Gavin, then. Even after all of the terrible things I did to both of you, your mother still wanted the best for me."

"Do you even know how old I am, Dad? Or what I do for a living?"

He went silent as he thought about the answers.

"Yeah. I thought not. You were too drunk to remember anything, so why should your own son be any different?"

His dad sighed. "I'm sorry. I'm not the father you deserve. Just... Please, don't end up like me."

"Trust me. I won't. I'm not going to put the people I love through that kind of shit." Gavin turned back around, pulling my hand with him as he walked away.

He held my hand tightly all the way out to the car. He let go and went to the passenger's side, slamming the door closed. I got into the driver's side and looked at him. "Gav?"

"Are we going home?"

"That... was the plan. Are you sure-"

"I don't want to be here another fucking second."

I gave him a wide-eyed nod. "Okay. We can go." I put the car in drive and started the trip back home.