Chapter 08 : Lacking in Study Skills

LOCATION: @WOLFE BASEMENT

TIME: WAXING CRESCENT

LEVI -

"I was ten the first time I was in there," Sterling explains, he hadn't been asked but I failed to hide my expression. For some reason, the cage had a magnetic hold on me.

"Oh-Yeah? Why?"

Sterling leans over, his elbows on top of the table. "I accidentally bit somebody as a wolf. It was a small bite, but I broke the skin, tasted blood. When I think back on it, that was a scary feeling. The taste was exciting, and I felt like I was as strong as an alpha. I wanted to keep feeling like that."

I try to imagine Sterling as a young bloodthirsty cub, but the image doesn't process. "Who'd you bite?"

"He was the town hermit. Out in the woods digging for mushrooms or maybe growing cannabis, I can't remember. I was out running and he startled me. I only bit his finger." He tries to play it off casually but Sterling's face turns red at the memory.

"I'm guessing this hermit never changed into a werewolf." I say, half as a joke and half as - well research.

Sterling almost laughs but it doesn't come out fully.

"No, he went to the hospital and reported a wolf attack. Our family went into lockdown until the authorities cleared the woods of wolf activity. Then at the full moon I went crazy. Mom locked me up with Rory who was struggling with his strength at the time." He sighed, "I coward in the corner while he spent all night trying to escape."

Trapped with Rory as a human, I can imagine. Trapped with Rory as a wolf ... I can only guess that Wolf Rory is probably much more aggressive.

A phantom tightness enters my chest, and I try to rub it away. "Has anyone ever escaped it?"

"Of course. That's why that hidden door exists," he points to the large metal wall we'd entered. "It can only be opened and closed from the other side, plus the padlock on the outside of the cellar doors. You saw how heavy they were? They're reinforced against alpha strength. Plus, we have a second entrance behind us." He points to a staircase tucked behind a wall just off from the library. "Mom's always at the top of those stairs ready to knock us back down."

"So you're only put in here when you lose control?"

"Actually, the triplets will be inside soon. It's around puberty when our strength overpowers all logic."

"Right, puberty." I nod. Sensing the jokes that were steadily filling my mind, Sterling glares at me. Then using a stapler, he quickly redirects my attention away from the cage by throwing it at my face.

I catch it and I have to admit I'm loving my new reflexes. Maybe I should reconsider my stance on High School sports.

"What I'm saying is, it's obvious we've bitten humans in the past but no human has ever changed.

"We're animals not demons. We only kill humans when the pack is in danger. If word got around that we exist, then we'd be hunted."

"The way you talk about hunters makes me think you're not referring to some rich guy out hunting for sport."

Sterling stands and walks to the farthest point of the bookcase. Tracing his fingers along the spines until he finds what he's looking for. He pulls out a book and tosses it to me. I catch it like I did the others. It's a smooth cover, made of paper. No writing on the front and it's wrapped closed with a think leather rope.

"I've never met a hunter, but there are all kinds. Mom says the Hollywood craze brought out even more types, but there are specific kinds that are a threat to the supernatural.