Chapter 26 - Our First and Last Dance

LOCATION: @WOODS

TIME: Moonset

Levi -

We reach the bend in the road and the smell of blood overwhelms my senses. Eye watering, I dig my heels into the gravel. The smell swirls and I turn to face the West. The early morning breeze carries the scent from around the thick brush.

Pain.

'What is he doing?' Sterling voice rings out in my head. I look down to see he paused nearby. His four paws urgently dancing beneath him.

"Keep running and call out to me. I'll hear you." I say.

"You really can hear me?" Sterling questions.

"GO." I say with more urgency. He turns and runs, leaving Cassidy and myself to follow what we smell.

The crunch of the thicket echos in the quiet morning, followed by the sound of a woman.

Cassidy shifts back into her human form and rushes to the woman laying on the ground. "Mama!"

The woman is dressed in what used to be a gold trimmed blouse, now it's soaked red with blood. Her eyes match her daughters but the contrasting color of her hair holds a touch of grey at the roots.

"You shouldn't have returned, Child." Her mother had a thick Spanish accent coating her labored breaths. She was alive but in desperate need of medical attention.

"Where is papa?" Cassidy asks her hands running through her mothers gray touched hair.

"Alpha-Wolfe and he are pulling the others out. She is not only strong but she can dance through the shadows, Child."

"Is she still holding the stone?" I ask. My voice causes the older woman a touch of alarm.

"Mama, is she still holding the stone in her hand?" Cassidy repeats.

"The demon's fist was still closed, yes." she answers before alarm crosses her expression. "Don't touch it, the stone. It turned that young girl into that demon."

"I won't touch it, Mama. But we have a plan." Cassidy says.

Cassidy's mom adds. "Don't trust your eyes, Werewolf."

Not quite understanding what she meant, I nod. Cassidy gives her one more reassuring plea that she'll be back to help her soon. Then the two of us run down the road after Sterling.

Unsure of where to find him, or the others, we head toward the part of the road where it all went wrong. The van had burned divots across the road when we blindly accelerated. The sounds from our shoes against loose gravel bounce through the empty trees. I pause to listen. The breeze rustles through branches, but not a peep from an animal, nor bug across the ground. The eerie stillness was familiar. Like around the treehouse, every time I had visited.

"What are you doing?"

I shush her and close my eyes to think, 'Levi? Can you hear me?' Under some false notion he would be behind me, I turn around.

He's not there...

"Where are you?" I ask the empty air.

"Me?" Cassidy asks at the same time I hear Sterling's voice try to come through but it made no sense.

"There are times I can hear Sterling when he's in Wolf form." I whisper, focusing again on the breeze.

"His thoughts?"

"Sort of, isn't that how you communicate with each other?"

"We're wolves not mind readers. Smell, sight, sounds make up wolf conversation, we don't read each other's minds."