Chapter 49

emily pov

i've been in the waiting room with mackenzie, tyler, taylor, the girls, caleb and toby for the past 3 hours.

mackenzie is shaking from killing paige.

taylor and i have been sitting, saking, and crying.

we became so close the past few months. we always have been close but now we are closer. i tell her everything.

we have been in it together ever since ali disappeared again.

"emily fields?" i shot up and stood. taylor followed me.

"yes? that's me. is my wife okay? how is she?" i asked quickly.

the doctor lifted his clipboard.

"your wife, alison will be okay. but there are some...things we should discuss." he said lowly.

i gulped and taylor grabbed my hand as a sign of comfort.

"what type of things?" taylor said.

"well. mrs fields has edured a lot of trauma. she has not talked or walked in quite a while so her brain shut down that part, adapting to her new environment."

"so what does that mean?"

"it means that alison can not talk or walk. she will need assistance on learning the basics. for example, talking, writing, walking." i looked at taylor and she looked at me in disbelief.

"is that all?"

"no. the electric shocks she has experienced got to her brain as well. it damaged her eardrums. therefore it might be difficult for mrs. fields to hear."

a lump caught in my throat.

"so she's...deaf?"

"yes, pretty much. she can hear a little bit but not very well."

"then how do we teach her to talk again?" taylor said axiously.

"well. i suggest teaching mrs fields ASL." we looked at him confused.

"sign language. american sign language." he explained.

"oh." i said and nodded.

"okay." taylor said, upset.

"and as for the walking. we will give alison a walker to help her along the way."

taylor and i nodded. 

"what room?"

"216."

we nodded and he walked away.

i sighed and ran a hand through my hair.

"how could this happen?! her whole life is changing. all because of paige. this is the second time paige has hurt alison. the second! the first time ali needed a heart monitor and an inhaler because if her! now she's deaf, and she can't walk yet because she forgot!" i vented.

"em. i know this is hard. trust me it's so so hard for me too. but complaining and whining will not help alison. she is in her room all alone right now. she needs us. she needs you emily."

i looked up at taylor. "i'm sorry. you're right. thanks tay...let's go."

we walked to alison's room and there she was. her beautiful blue eyes met mine. they had that sparkle in them again.

she smiled as we walked in. i smiled and tears ran down my face, "oh my baby." i cried. i ran over to her and hugged her lightly.

she hugged me back and before we pulled away she kissed my cheek.