Chapter IX ~ Letters from Icarus

/January 1814/

Dear Ophelia,

I know that you haven't been gone for a very long time, but I can't help but miss you. They always say the first few months are the most difficult. I hope that is true. I can hardly imagine what it's like for people who don't even know you're coming back. But then again, I don't think they would have the chance to meet you in the future. God, who knows how long it will take for you to wake up? Let us just hope it's soon.

It's only been a few weeks since we buried you. I cried at your funeral. You seem to have that effect on me, making me feel things, I mean.

Soon after we buried you, I left London. Couldn't stand to be constantly reminded of the fact that I lost you so soon after I got you back. How could someone say that a year is a long time? I'm planning on travelling the world for a bit, but don't worry, I'll keep you updated. My first stop will be Italy. You might not believe me, but I've never been in Rome before. I'm going to try to keep a journal, just like you do, with all the places I have visited. Along with the letters, I will send you sketches of all the majestic buildings and views and all the other beautiful things I see. I hope you like them. If not, you can always throw them away of course, I have more than enough with me. I will show them to you when you wake up. You'll love them (at least I hope you will).

Do you know what I have been thinking? We never really got to talk about that kiss. I have been wondering what we are now. I always saw you as my first and best friend, but I don't think best friends kiss, do they? Can lovers still be best friends?

Never mind, I shouldn't bother you with these things. You're dead for God's sake. This is probably not the first thing you'll want to read when you wake up.

Anyway, it felt weird to bury you, knowing that you will come back eventually. I can't stand not knowing when. But I will wait, I promised you I will.

After the funeral, I said my goodbyes to your aunt. She was inconsolable. I felt bad about leaving when I saw her that way. You know what she told me? 'I am not her aunt, I never was. But how could I ever have told that girl otherwise?' Turns out you're not as good an actress as you might have hoped, Ophelia. As I left, she hugged me. 'Tell her hello when you see her again, will you my dear?' So "hello" I guess.

I can't wait to see you again. Don't take too long.

Forever waiting,

Icarus

~ ~ ~

/December 1835/

Dear Ophelia,

It's been ages, hasn't it? I tried to write, I really did, but I couldn't find a single subject that might interest you.

It is with regret that I have to inform you that your aunt died about a month ago. She was pretty old, and you were probably expecting her to be gone by the time you wake up, but I thought you ought to know.

Meanwhile, I'm still travelling the world. My last stop was Greece. We should go there together once you've woken up.

Again, I'm really sorry about your aunt.

Icarus

~ ~ ~

/September 1851/

Dear Ophelia,

I have no news. Nothing seems worthy enough to be put in any of my letters. I wish to say that you should have been there, but that pains me, because it's true. I have kept my promise and all day long I have either been writing in my journal or making sketches of the most beautiful things. There is one thing I keep drawing over and over, because I can't get it out of my head. I can't get her out of my head. I know it sounds a bit cliché, but it's you. "The first few months are the most difficult." I don't believe it. It will never become easier.

Last week, I went to Venice, to the plaza where we first danced (yes, I still remember where it was, even though it was an eternity ago). Then I went to my aunt's house. She wasn't there, of course. Instead, there was a completely different family. I didn't even dare to knock on the door. I walked through the entire city, but when I got to the bridge where you collapsed that evening, I couldn't bear it anymore, and I left.

I don't know where I'm going next. Perhaps Austria, or Spain. I would ask you to choose, but, well, I don't think I would get an answer.

I don't know what else to say.

Hopefully, we will meet again soon.

With love,

Icarus

Ps. I'm still waiting.

~ ~ ~

/March 1869/

Dear Ophelia,

I lied to you.

Well, I didn't exactly lie to you, it was more like withholding information. I travelled the world, that much was true, but I didn't do it just for fun, or to run away from my problems, like you might have expected. I tried to find a cure. Not for me, I tried that a long time ago, without any success. No, I tried to find a cure for you, Ophelia.

I think I found it.

Please wake up soon.

Still waiting,

Icarus

~ ~ ~

/October 1875/

Dear Ophelia,

Paris.

That's the message. Meet me in Paris. There are masked balls here. You'll love it.

You'll know where to find me. I never miss a good party.

Yours,

Icarus

~ ~ ~

/November 1875/

Dear Icarus,

I will.

Ophelia