episode eight

FRIENDS.
season two | episode eight.
the one where everything is happening.

unedited.

"Tell me why are we doing this again?" Donghyuck grumbled, laying stiffly onto the cleared bar counter— hoping to prevent less customers from coming in.

Jaemin, angry that the newly cleaned counter is once again dirty, stormed towards the male. He held a rolled up magazine in one hand and a water spritz bottle in the other. As if the boy was a dog, he sprit water on him before smacking his thigh.

"What the fuck-"

"You do know you're ruining Hwa's business," He fired, pulling on his ear— forcing the male off the counter, to which he succeeded.

"Ow, ow, okay! I'll just go sulk in the back room—"

"Yah, Lee Donghyuck!" Jaemin screamed, chasing him to the employees only hallway, leaving the rest of the men working.

Unamused, Mark continued to sweep. "They give me a headache," He muttered, glancing back to the door they left in, the. averting his eyes to the ground.

"I'm gonna be out back for my break," Renjun announced, placing down his apron atop the bar counter. Jeno eyed him suspiciously but nodded his head nonetheless.

"Don't take too long, we have to begin closing up soon," The dark haired male reminded, threading his hands through his locks.

"Yeah, i'll be quick,"

. . .

Renjun happily pushed open the back door of the cafe open. His face was immediately met with the warm afternoon sun, differing from the cool atmosphere of the inside.

Hurriedly, the male closed the door behind him and stepped further away, his hand reaching to his back pocket. Swiftly, he grasped the paper box and pulled it in front of him, where he flipped open the top and plucked a stick out from the few left.

"I need to buy more," He grumbled, shoving the box back in his pocket as he retrieved his lighter.

Renjun placed the cigarette between his lips, holding it with his teeth. With his free hand, he raised the newly lit flame from his lighter to the stick, activating the toxic chemicals. He took a large inhale, and exhaled soon after, feeling as if he had been holding his breath for quite some time.

He stayed like that for a few more minutes. He appreciated the bustling of Seoul, as crowds of on-goers passed the alley he was present in, he listened to the revving of cars, and basked in the sunlight that peaked into the path— all while he continuously brought the stick to his lips.

Feeling that it was enough for now, he flicked the cigarette to the ground and stepped on it with his shoe's heel. He stared down at the smashed object, before averting his gaze forward.

He froze.

Hwayoung stood there, lips parted and eyes widened, unbelieving what she had just seen.

"Renjun, are you smoking again?" She asked, beginning to walk closer. That was when he noticed that she held the baby book tightly in her left hand, the other caressing her protruding belly.