Chapter Eleven

Ophelia saw Bucky from across the way, his attention turned to the soldiers who called his name. But Ophelia was froze still in her place, he was there, alive and well. Of course she would have known that by reading his letter but, she didn't. He was there. Dugan pulled him closer as he walked forward, his smile shining through the dark grey clouds.

"Barnes your never gonna guess who just joined out tent." Gabe said as Ophelia turned away, her back facing the group.

"If it's not a beautiful nurse, then I'm not interested." Bucky chuckled to his friends. Ophelia couldn't help but crack a smile at Bucky's humour.

"No, something you'll like," Dugan said putting his arm around his shoulder. Ophelia moved out of their line of sight and turned behind a tent, not far from where they were talking. "Another kid from Brooklyn."

"Brooklyn, New Jersey?" Bucky questioned.

"Yup, you should met him, quite guy but I'm sure your charm can crack him open." Gabe said patting his arm.

"Well we'll just have to see, what's his name?"

"William Richard."

Ophelia leaned her head back, she couldn't let Bucky know she was here. If Bucky knew that she was here, dressed as a dead soldier, he would send her home in a heartbeat. Ophelia panicked as she heard the three men closer to where she was hiding. They were headed to her tent, looking for her. Ophelia turned away as they walked past, she glanced over her shoulder as the three joked with each other, Bucky's smirk caught her eye. She had missed his boyish smile, but it seemed to have age years only within the one year since they last saw each other.

Before the group could reach the tent, the Commander walked up to Bucky handing him a letter from up high. Ophelia watched from over her shoulder as he opened it, a smile still on his face as he looked over the letter. His smile faded to nothing, he had dropped the letter and stumbled back on his feet. Dugan helped support Bucky on his feet as Gabe picked up the letter and looked over it.

Ophelia knew what was on that letter. It was the military announcement to Bucky that she was missing in action.

It had been about a week since the hospital attack, meaning the allied forces would have already gone through most of the bodies. Ophelia's wouldn't have been amongst the few. Meaning her mother, Steve and Bucky, all would have gotten the same letter. Ophelia had been declared dead.

She swallowed her anxiety as Bucky pushed away from his friends, needing some air. Ophelia wanted to desperately run up to him and tell him that she wasn't dead, that she was there with him, ready to fight. But she didn't want him to send her home. Ophelia was conflicted as she watched Bucky disappear into his tent. Ophelia turned back to her tent mates and saw them still holding that letter. Ophelia straightened herself and walked forward towards them.

"Hey, Hot Shot." Gabe said still holding the letter. His voice was soft. "We were gonna introduce you do the other Brooklyn kid, but-"

"His lady died." Dugan continued.

"His lady?" She asked confused at their word of choice. Gabe handed the letter to Ophelia and she looked it over.

Dear Sargent James Barnes,

It is with great sadness we announce the missing body of one Ophelia Anne Rowland, one of the nurses at the hospital in north Italy. Her duties were carried out until the very end. Miss Rowland was one of the best nurses on her team and showed great potential for the future.

We understand the relationship you had with Miss Rowland, as you have asked us to keep you updated with her postings once you arrived in London. I'm very sorry my friend, I know how much she meant to you. I wish I could have been there to tell you the news. I have sent letters to Mrs. Rowland and a one Mister Steve Rogers, about her passing.

My condolences.
Your friend,
James Montgomery Falsworth, Monty.

Ophelia looked up to the two men who stood in front of her. "It's a shame, he talked so highly of her." Dugan said.

"Said she was the most beautiful girl in all of New Jersey." Gabe chuckled, "Must have been some girl for a man to say that."

Ophelia turned back towards Bucky's tent, hiding her emotions about the things Bucky had said about her. "Yeah..." her voice trailed off, "she must had been something."

Later that night, Ophelia lay on her cot looking up at the top of her tent. The wind flew the fabric as the night sounds filled the air. Dugan and Gabe were both sound asleep next to her, but her mind was racing as she thought of everything she had done. She always knew what she was getting herself into when she decided to be a nurse. Ophelia knew what she would do and see, she wanted to help those who needed it. But when Colonel Charles died she was helpless, her mind was away from her body. She saw the dead soldier and just took what he had to benefit herself. She had the realization that this boys family would not have a body to burry. If soldiers came to them without a dog tag or papers, they would be brought home and tried to be identified. She prayed that his family would find him.

She wanted to fight. Fight with men who looked down to her, saying she could only be a nurse. She loved being a nurse, but Ophelia wanted more, she wanted to help stop this war so not just her, but everyone else could go home. She wanted to prove these men wrong. Ophelia wanted to do this for Steve, so he could live his days without fear of something happening, because she knew he would be worried. She also knew he wanted to enlist but he was in no shape for that. Ophelia didn't want Steve to fight. Ophelia did this for her mother, who would also be worried sick. She wanted to show her that she was capable of more than just being a woman and getting married the way her mother wanted her too. Ophelia did this for Bucky, so he could go home with her and live his life without having to see the war.

But they both had already seen enough.