Chapter Seven

Ophelia stood in front of the train station later that night. Carrying nothing but a bag of clothes and what she was wearing that day. She quit her job and dropped out of university all within the last four hours. The sun was going down over city, as Ophelia stepped on the train headed towards Ohio where nurses were to be trained. Climbing the train, she sat in her seat and leaned her head on the glass, her eyes tired after her long day.

She was leaving without a word. After Ophelia left her mothers, she packed a bag and quit her life. She felt bad for leaving so suddenly, so she left a note in Steve's mailbox explaining everything. Ophelia loved Steve, but she couldn't bear seeing him break when both of his friends had left him. But she would come home, she just needed to get away for the time being. Closing her eyes she leaned her head on the window, ready for where this war would take her.

February 12th, 1942
Dear Steve,

I know you are worried for me, but please don't be. I do apologize for leaving you without seeing you face to face, this wasn't you, it was all me. I needed the air, on my own. I miss you with every passing day, wishing we could go for some hot fries from that dinner down the street from the university.

Have you heard from Bucky? If you have, please tell him I'm fine, but don't tell him what I'm doing. You know him, he'll get worried and start to loose his head. I don't want to discuss my life choices with him, especially through letters. It's much better in person.

As for my training, it's very difficult if I am being honest. Some girls were taken out early to help at Pearl Harbour. I know I sighed up for this, but I don't think I'm ready to head to the field just yet, I've still got lots of things to learn, especially bedside manner. They're very harsh on us, making sure we are doing things correctly, giving the right treatments.

Please don't worry for me, I'll be home soon. Maybe then we can go get a drink? Hopefully Bucky will be home by then, so we can all go dancing?

Much love,
Ophelia Anne Rowland.

April 4th, 1942
My love Steve,

Thank you for the sweets you sent, I absolutely love them! I just admit, I did share them with the girls who are boarding with me. Let's just say we all enjoyed them! Thank you for the drawings you sent me. I especially love the one of Rockaway Beach, missing the simple days of our summer outings. Maybe when I come home we can go again?

Word has gone around that we might have to extend our training, and actually go out on the field. I think I'm ready now, although nothing has been confirmed yet. Many of the girls talk of the young soldiers they want to meet, but I don't think they realize the reality of war. I pity them when they come to terms with such horrible things that await them over seas.

Thank you for keeping me posted with Bucky. And thank you for having my back, I owe you one. I know I say that every letter, but I really do. I'm just worried about when he comes home, and he finds out that you lied. But I'm sure I'll be home before that. I know I will!

Love you lots,
Ophelia Anne Rowland.

June 21st, 1942
Steve,

I apologize in advance for the short letter but I'm writing to let you know that I won't be home in the next few weeks. The nurses in my group have all been called overseas for emergency aid. We're the only group of eligible nurses at the moment who are ready to head over seas. I know Bucky will be home soon in the next few weeks, but I'm sorry I won't be. I don't know when I can write again, everything is so hectic here. Tell Bucky that it's my fault that you lied, tell him I'm sorry.

I never anticipated for this to turn the way it did, not this quickly.

I'm sure I'll be home soon, I miss you. Tell Bucky thank you for the necklace, I might not be able to for a while.

With love,
Ophelia Anne Rowland.