chapter 14

"Form ranks." I say, my voice rang softly with the wind bristling wildly like some untamed beast.

Soldiers moved to their respective troops, their knees high as they marched, faces pale, their mouths are shut and they'd best keep it that way.

"Cinco minutos. Jog."

The lieutenants shouted as they jogged, sweats dripping from their foreheads and the sun scorching their faces. A smile crept up on my lips when one tripped and fell, face first. No one stopped to give the fallen soldier a hand. He struggled in his rise and tumbled down again.

The iron mail clung tightly on my body, the sword light on the belt and the knives clattered. Under the shade of an oak, I squinted my eyes. The sun seemed to have grown fond with these creatures, for it glared down upon the struggling pests. The oak rested on top of a shallow hill, which gave me much to see but little to hear. Makes no matter. The lieutenants need to shout louder.

Five minutes passed by quickly but I am sure that it's the contrary for the soldiers. They have formed ranks, each troop has its own lieutenant and the lieutenant speaks with Commander Lyna if there are messages to be said. This time, they kept quiet. The last time they flaunted their forebears to me, one lieutenant lost his tongue. He'd be flaunting no more.

"Today, two of you shall be chosen for the second Prince's own sworn swords. Though the second Prince hardly stays within the Kingdom, two of eight hundred shall be given the honour of protecting him. The queen have vested the task to me, to choose who is best suited to protect her son's life." I announced. 

Their pale faces have found its colour and now they looked like some thirsty dog begging for some water. I'll give them water. The most poisonous water there is in the country.

"Some may want this for an opportunity to go beyond the lands of the kingdom. Some may want it for glory. Some for pride. And some for treachery. Now first of all, that's stupid. Even as the second Prince's sworn sword, you will not leave the kingdom. There is no glory nor pride in this, only much more work. And betray us, and you will die." I made sure to look at each of their faces, not a smile on my lips. 

Witches cannot leave El Malefico. They are tied within the kingdom and if necessary, the queen gives them the cloak of concealment. For them to go out and not perish a satisfying death. 

"Now, I ask for a volunteer."

Silence. No one moved. No one spoke.

"I understand. Not much is gained in this but if no one wants the task, might as well run a thousand laps under the scorching heat. No voluntarios? Empiece con el trote." (No volunteers? Start with the jog)

Their armours glinted under the yellow world made from the sun's smile high up in the sky. Slowly, I began to undo the leather harness and unbuckled the sword belt. It will take awhile for them to break. As I placed the mail on the ground right beside an enormous root, the two Princes came up with their shadows reflecting on the well cut grass, taller than themselves.

"What's the meaning of this, Cielle?" Kaisen asked, his eyes blaring even more fiercer than the sun itself. I looked away, bothered, and leaned on the trunk with my eyes closed. Why can't he just leave me alone? He is distraction taken into a magnificent form. It's unsettling.

"They had trouble deciding. This should lighten up their minds." I say lazily. The afternoon air is making me sleepy. I heard the Prince Aiken chuckle.