Chapter 12: Backtalk

Chapter 12

Class was hell for some students; some liked the order and socialization, and others despised it. Dana usually disliked it, but at this moment she had more hatred than she knew what to do with.

Again, Dana found herself packing up her bag in anatomy. Ms Queens having finished the lecture and was cleaning up her own materials when oh low and behold if it isn't the one and only Jane Lows.

Dana felt the shift of thought again as Jane spoke to Dana. The exact same issue with Dana ignoring Jane gave the split second of surprise from everyone that let Dana zero in on one single plan of action. Run.

She shot to the door as best she could on her sprained ankle but this time she bumped into someone. And then everything was as clear as glass, Clyde was holding her shoulders steady as he came into the classroom, toeing Dana along by her hand. "Why is Dana running from you guys?"

"That's none of your business Clyde." Jane rolled her eyes.

"It didn't look like it was friendly."

"Yea well it's not, I don't expect you to be able to even read the scene." Jane said and for a second Dana questioned if she was hearing her right. This was Clydes girlfriend right? Dana thought. There's not some clone that is just saying rude things to people right?

"I just-I want to help resolve-"

"There's nothing to resolve, leave us alone. We're obviously having a private conversation that doesn't include you."

"Is this why she was by the highway? Was she trying to get away from you?" Even Dana knew Clyde must have had a suspicion. It's not that he was dumb, he was phenomenalat microsecond thoughts, but he lacked the experience to deduce something like this.

"So what? It's not like we told her to run. She just started acting weird and started running." Jane laughed turned to the class who was still watching, even Ms Queens looked like her heart was breaking two. "I mean, who even does that. It's not like we're some villians."

"Anyone would want to run from you." Dana said quietly. Then louder, "the people who tolerate you on a daily basis are the real hero's."

Audible gasps echoed around the room. No one dared to shift for fear that Jane Lows wrath would turn to them.

"You little bitch!" Jane spat. "How dare-"

"Don't be bitter. Just get better." Dana took a warning step forward, pulling Clyde back by his hand.

"You-you. Clyde!" Jane jumped at her own shrill voice. "Are you really just going to stand there and let her say this trash?"

"You didn't want me in the conversation." Clyde looked genuinely perplexed and for a split second Dana believed him before she saw his sly grin creeping at the corners of his beautiful lips.

"God! You're such an idiot! No, that's an insult to all idiots." Jane pulled at her backpack straps.

And at that Dana took a menacing step forward. The students who watched stiffened while Jane jumped again. The air in the room became still and electricity flowed throughout the supercharged room.

"You better shut your mouth. Clyde is far from stupid, and even if he was, there's nothing wrong with that. What's wrong, is when people act entitled and push people down to try and climb to the top when really they'll just end up always second best."

Janes porcelain cheeks flushed red. "Clyde, you and I are over. Keep you trash new friend."

"Be nicer to people." Dana whispered low again, "and pray you never bump into me alone."

Janes eyes widened to the size of plates before she backed around Dana and Clyde then dove through the door and sprinted down the hallway.

No one moved, they all waited for the next student to make a shift. Then finally Ms Queens clapped her hands, "alright students, run on home!"

Once the students had dispersed and it was finally Ms Queens, Dana and Clyde alone in the room. They all let out a heavy sigh. "That was the worst moment of my entire life." Ms queens said.

"Really, that? Top 3 maybe but not the top spot." Dana chuckled halfheartedly.

Clyde stayed silent. His eyes glued to Dana's and his hand still clasped tightly together. Their fingers interlacing each others. They hadn't let go yet, and to Dana it seemed that they wouldn't let go.

The sun slowly setting and their expectations changing. They all went home after that, Dana and Clyde walking hand in hand back to their houses.

//////

If you enjoyed this chapter, please like and comment!