"Happy Birthday, wait, you're a witch?"

Matilda's POV

It was my 11 birthday, I invited Lavender and Hermione over for a sleep-over. I can't believe Hermione didn't have friends in her school, after knowing her for more than 5 months, I feel like she was the most awesome person in the world(along with mom and Lavender).

Well something happened before the sleepover...

A women with black hair and green cloak came to our doorstep. "Miss. Wormword, can you show me your parents, I have important news."

Uh oh, I hate news, usually, news=bad=trouble. "I would rather be called Miss. Honey, or why not Matilda? My mom is in the living room, I'll call her."

Once my mom came, she said, "Glad to see you madam, my name is professor McGonagall. I'm here to inform you that your daughter is a witch."

I was so shocked.

"A what?"

"A witch." she said again, but I can't trust her yet, I'm not supposed to trust strangers.

"How can you prove it?"

"Did anything abnormal happened to you before, like things unable to be explained?"

"Hell yes, I have funny powers. I can close the windows without touching them, I can write on the wall using only my eyes, I can educate myself too." I answered her, proudly.

Professor McGonagall's eyes widen with...fear? I don't know, it seemed like it.

"Very well, Miss. Honey." She gave me two letters and quickly left.

I opened the first letters.

To: Ms. Wormwood

Dear Ms. Wormwood, we are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts Schoolof Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary booksand equipment. 

Term begins on 1 September. We await your owl by no later than 31 July. 

Yours sincerely, 

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress 

Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock,Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

And then the second one.

First-year students will require: 

 1. Three sets of plain work robes (black) 

 2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear 

 3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar) 

 4. One winter cloak (black, with silver fastenings) 

 Please note that all pupil's clothes should carry name tags.

 All students should have a copy of each of the following: 

 The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk 

 A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling 

 A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration by Emeric Switch

 One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore 

 Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger 

 Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander 

 The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

Other equipment: 

 1 wand 

 1 cauldron (pewter, standard size 2) 

 1 set glass or crystal phials 

 1 telescope 

 1 set brass scales 

Students may also bring, if they desire, an owl or a cat or a toad. 

Parents are reminded that first years are not allowed their own broomstick 

Yours sincerely, 

Lucinda Thomsonicle-Pocus 

Chief Attendant of Witchcraft Provisions

Hermione knocked the door before I finished reading the letter.

"Happy birthday, wait, you're a witch? I'm one too!" she said.

So apparently Hermione is a witch like me and she didn't tell me sooner because she thought I'm a muggle(is that the word wizards and witches use for non-magicals?".

Lavender arrived later and wished me a happy birthday, I could only hope she has magic too.