1. || The Marriage ||

The mansion buzzed with activity. Why wouldn't it? Today was the wedding day of Ananya Bhoosan, a name unique in its own right.

Most love stories start with a boy and a girl meeting by chance and losing themselves in each other’s eyes. But not this one. This story is bound by fate and destined by their intertwined destinies.

Everyone was bustling around the grand hall, making last-minute adjustments to the wedding decor. The large wedding billboard read:

ANANYA WEDS DEV

Dev smiled as Ananya's father playfully tugged his nose, his heart bursting with happiness. Finally, he was going to marry the love of his life, Ananya, the woman he admired the most.

The hustle and bustle of the large gathering, cheering for them, was deafening. Many dignitaries and well-known personalities had come to attend the wedding of the Chief Justice and the daughter of the country's military general.

The grand hall was adorned with extravagant decorations—ornate floral arrangements, shimmering drapes, and twinkling lights that gave the space a magical ambiance. The scent of fresh flowers filled the air, mingling with the aroma of delicious food being prepared in the kitchens.

Dev took his seat in front of the sacred fire, the priests chanting holy mantras. His heart was overflowing with joy, but Ananya's heart was in turmoil. She paced the floor in disarray, her wedding attire crumpled as she sank to the ground, her face buried in her knees, tears streaming down her cheeks.

Ananya didn't want to get married. She loved someone else—Ray, a border superintendent of Pakistan. They met at military meetings where she accompanied her father. Over time, friendship blossomed into love, a love forbidden by her family.

She wanted to tell her family, but how could she? Ray lived across the border. Her brother, Vivaan, suspected her feelings for Ray, adding to her distress.

As Ananya cried, she heard footsteps approaching. Hastily wiping her tears, she forced a charming smile just as the door opened and Vivaan entered.

Vivaan sighed, noticing the dried tears on her face. He took some wipes and gently cleaned her face.

"Look, Di, please don’t cry," Vivaan said, caressing her cheeks. "Your brief romance shouldn’t tarnish our family’s years of earned respect."

Ananya looked at him, astonished. "Vi...Vivaan, you know?"

Vivaan nodded. "I know everything, Ananya Didi, about you and Ray. But understand this well—neither will he cross the border to come here, nor will I let you go there."

Ananya sobbed, folding her hands in front of her brother. "Please, Vivaan, don’t do this to me. I can’t be happy with Dev. I love Ray. Please let me go."

Vivaan closed his eyes, gripping his gun. "Didi, please don’t force me to take extreme measures. Dev is here; please come with me."

He pointed the gun at himself, saying, "Come with me, or I’ll first end Ray’s life, then yours. If Dev finds out, he won’t spare any of us. He doesn’t tolerate betrayal."

Ananya let out a sob, "Vi...Vivaan..."

Just then, their father, Vijay Bhooshan, entered. Ananya, terrified of her father's strict nature, stood up quickly.

Vijay, worried seeing his beloved daughter's tears, asked while caressing her hair, "What happened, dear? Why are you crying? The auspicious time for the wedding is passing."

Vivaan smiled nervously, hiding his gun. He hugged Ananya. "Nothing, Dad. She’s just thinking about her departure and crying already. Right, Didi?"

Ananya pushed him aside angrily and went to her father.

Her father, emotional, said, "Today is not a day for tears but for joy. Today, my princess becomes a bride, and that too to a worthy life partner. I’m very happy."

He kissed Ananya's forehead lovingly, her tears falling freely.

Ananya tried to speak. "But Papa, I need to tell you something..."

Vivaan interrupted, "Dad, I overheard someone outside planning to kidnap Ananya Didi. We should increase security."

Vijay's eyes filled with anger. "Let anyone dare look at my daughter. I’ll bury them in the ground. Vivaan, keep an eye on them. They might be rivals from Pakistan. If things escalate, we have our forces here."

Ananya's heart skipped a beat. She looked at Vivaan with fearful eyes. He gave her a knowing look. "See, I warned you."

Vivaan smiled. "Yes, Dad. I’ll ensure Ananya Didi’s safety. Nothing will happen to her. You go ahead; I’ll bring her."

Vijay nodded and left.

Vivaan, holding Ananya’s shoulder, said, "You see, Di, even thinking ill of you results in death. Imagine what would happen if Dad finds out about Ray."

Ananya wanted to say something but remained silent, realizing her helplessness. Vivaan wiped her tears again, gave her a touch-up, and lovingly extended his hand.

Ananya managed a small smile and took his hand. He led her out, her gaze lowered, maintaining a shy demeanor. Vivaan carefully seated her beside Dev. Dev smiled warmly at her, but deep inside, she was dying in grief.

After a while, the priest asked them to stand for the garland exchange. Dev stood up happily, but Ananya remained seated. Dev moved to help her, but Vivaan intervened, smiling nervously. "Her lehenga is quite heavy."

Vivaan helped Ananya stand. They exchanged garlands and took the seven vows. Dev held her hand, taking the vows with happy and determined thoughts to love her always. Ananya, however, took the vows reluctantly, a fake smile plastered on her face.

After the rituals, Dev helped her sit down, adjusting her heavy attire. Following the holy mantras, he placed the nuptial chain around her neck. Ananya clutched her lehenga tightly, looking at her father's smiling face. Her eyes filled with tears as Dev applied vermilion to her hairline, tears she had held back for so long finally falling.

The priest declared them husband and wife. They received blessings from the elders and congratulations from their cousins.

Dev noticed the tears in her eyes and her sad face but shrugged it off, thinking it was due to her departure from her family.

After spending some time with Ananya's family, they left for the Joshi mansion. Ananya cried her heart out during her vidai. Dev felt bad for her, tears forming in his eyes too as he side-hugged her in a comforting manner.

Soon they reached the Joshi mansion, an imposing structure adorned with intricate carvings and surrounded by lush gardens. The mansion was lit up brightly, every corner echoing with laughter and music as the Joshi family prepared to welcome their new daughter-in-law.

The grand entrance was decorated with a beautiful floral archway, and traditional torans hung from the doorways. As Ananya stepped out of the car, her eyes were met with the sight of Dev's family, their faces glowing with joy and excitement.

Dev's mother, draped in an elegant sari, performed the traditional aarti to welcome Ananya. She placed a tikka on Ananya's forehead, a gesture symbolizing the acceptance of a new member into the family.

"Welcome to our home, Ananya," she said warmly, her eyes twinkling with affection.

Ananya forced a smile, her heart heavy with the burden of her hidden love for Ray. As she stepped into the mansion, her feet were gently nudged into a tray of vermillion, leaving red footprints—a symbol of prosperity and happiness.