4. || Trashed Identity ||

Anaya expressed gratitude to Debu, "Thank you, Debu, for not informing my mother about us... Just one favor, let the bond between us stay within these walls. Even my father doesn't know that I love... love Ray."

Debu didn't raise his gaze, but tears trickled down his cheeks. He hurriedly wiped them away and chuckled sadly, "What luck I have, Anu... Oops, sorry, Ananya. I must play a part in hiding my own wife's affair, on her insistence."

Ananya started feeling even more remorseful, "I... I'm sorry, Debu. Just bear with me for a few days in this life. May God grant you someone better in the next."

"I wish God doesn't grant me another life," pain was clearly audible in his voice.

Ananya attempted to say something, but a knock interrupted their not-so-cool emotional outburst.

As Ananya opened the door, wiping away her and Dev's tears, Dev's sisters Megha and Payal entered and smirked upon seeing the disarrayed room.

Megha leaned on Dev's shoulder, "So, Bhaiya, how was your last night?"

Debu felt the sting, but he kept his pain hidden, maintaining a stoic expression.

Ananya turned away, unable to hold back her tears as she remembered Debu's devastated state on their wedding night.

Payal asked, "What's wrong, Bhabhi? Did our words offend you?"

Megha teased, "No, I think Bhabhi is blushing. What do you think, looking at the state of this room?"

Debu rolled his eyes, "Are you done? Or do you have more nonsense to spout? Do you have anything better to do than harass me?"

Megha side-hugged Ananya, "Don't be so rude, Bhai. Bhabhi, you'll need all the best wishes to deal with this monkey for your whole life." She hurried away.

"Who are you calling a monkey?" Debu shouted irritably.

Megha popped up from the window, "And Bhabhi, freshen up and come downstairs for breakfast. We have designers here for selecting dresses for tonight's party."

Debu interjected, "What's the need for a party? We got married just yesterday."

Payal joined in, "Debu, we need a function to introduce Bhabhi to Dad and your officials. The whole world should know. After all, it's the Chief Justice of India's wedding. Why think so much, Bhabhi? Bhai will wear whatever we choose for him."

Ananya nodded. After Megha and Payal left, Debu didn't look at Ananya and went into the washroom.

Ananya went downstairs after freshening up and tidying the room to avoid further embarrassment. She quietly had breakfast, selected a dress for the evening, helped Karuna with arrangements, and ensured everything was in order before going upstairs to get ready.

Ananya looked stunning in a royal red saree. She took out Debu's black suit and placed it on the bed, but he snatched it from her angrily.

Debu tried to remain composed, "Listen, Ananya, I'm making this clear now. Don't touch one particular thing of mine, or I won't know what I might do with it or with you. Stay within your limits."

"Just stay away," he snatched the suit and stormed into the washroom.

Ananya's eyes welled up at Debu's harsh words, but her face lit up as her phone buzzed with a call from "My Peace"!

She answered the call and went out onto the balcony. Debu clenched the doorknob tightly in anger and pain. He wanted to comfort her, but she seemed happy with someone else 😶.

After a while -

Ananya and Debu stood in the middle of the hall at their reception party. Debu was serious, while Ananya pretended to be happy.

Karuna introduced Ananya to family members, officials, and the media. When reporters asked for her introduction and a brief interview, she agreed warmly.

Ananya: "Hello, I'm Ananya Dev Jo—"

"Ananya Bhosan," Debu interrupted. She looked at him as confusion spread among the family members.

Karuna intervened, "What's this, Debu? You're married now, so Ananya is Mrs. Joshi. Her name is yours now too."

Debu blurted out abruptly, "My name will never be Ananya's, Mom." Her heart skipped a beat in fear.

Debu cleared his throat, "Because Ananya herself told me that she didn't want to change her name after marriage, and I have no problem with that. Isn't that what you wanted, Ananya?"

Ananya looked down and quietly muttered a soft "yes."

Reporter: "That's fine then. Please, can we have a couple photo for our cover page?"

Both Debu and Ananya hesitated. "You already have photos from the event. What's the need for this?" Debu asked nervously.

His father insisted, "Debu, it's your event too. They are asking for your pictures. Just give them. What's the problem?"

Karuna intervened again, "Just say yes. They won't say anything. You can take their pictures."

She took Debu's hand and dragged him towards Ananya, "But give a nice pose."

The cameraman adjusted his lens, "Come a little closer to each other."

Megha frowned, watching Debu and Ananya staring awkwardly at each other, "Nothing will ever happen. Bhai stands as far from her as Mr. Sharma from pados vali aunty."

Megha approached them, took Dev's hand, and placed it on Ananya's waist. She trembled slightly at his touch, and his heart skipped a beat.

Payal nudged Ananya, "Bhabhi, you too hold Bhai's hand."

They did nothing, just gazed at each other, while Megha and Payal lamented together, "Oh God, you two can't even manage a decent couple pose."

Megha winked at Payal, who nudged Ananya lightly. She fell into Debu's arms, her hand on his chest and his hand still on her waist.

Debu closed his eyes, overwhelmed by having the love of his life in his arms. A small smile played on his lips, and Ananya smiled too, seeing his happiness. At the right moment, the camera clicked.

They both came back to their senses at the sound of the camera. After the reporters finished, Debu distanced himself.

He went to his room, pretending about a conference meeting, while Karuna introduced Ananya to more guests, and the party continued with dinner.

After a while -

Ananya returned to their room and found Debu sleeping uncomfortably on the couch. She felt sorry for him.

Debu, with closed eyes, said, "Go and sleep on the bed, Ananya."

"No need for that. You go and sleep comfortably on your bed, I'll sleep on the couch," she replied.

"Do as you wish," he responded with closed eyes.

Ananya huffed, "Oh, hello, you can't order me around..."

"I can now go and sleep," he turned around, facing the couch.

With a deep frown, she went into the washroom, changed into her nightdress, and lay on the bed with closed eyes. Sleep eluded them both as they lay there, lost in their own sorrows.