2. || The Truth ||

Ananya nodded silently, her mind a whirlwind of conflicting thoughts as she mechanically pushed the kalash, scattering rice across the marble floor—a customary ritual symbolizing prosperity that felt hollow amidst her inner turmoil.

Debu, sensing her unease, gently clasped her hand and led her indoors. Karuna ji,performed the ritual of taking their balaiyaans, a gesture to ward off evil eyes and bless the newlyweds with protection.

As Ananya looked into Debu's eyes, she glimpsed a radiant happiness that pierced her heart. Guilt gnawed at her for betraying such a pure soul who had shown her nothing but kindness.

Later, Karuna ji guided Ananya to her designated room. Each step felt heavier, as if she was trudging through molten lead, her heart fracturing into shards with every beat. Karuna ji, perceptive as ever, ensured Ananya's comfort, consoling her with reassuring words about the nature of arranged marriages and Debu's character. She emphasized that Ananya was cherished not just as a daughter-in-law but as a beloved daughter.

Before leaving, Karuna ji affectionately kissed Ananya's forehead, leaving her alone with her turbulent emotions. Ananya's gaze drifted to the darkened sky outside the window, a mirror of her inner anguish. "Kyun Bhagwan ji, why is it always me? I know this was my decision, but why have you placed me at this crossroads where my future looms uncertain? How can I embark on this new life when I'm still anchored in the past?"

Karuna ji's earlier words echoed in her mind, "Mera bacha akela hai, Ananya. We are all here for him, but he has no one with whom he can share every burden. I'm not forcing you into this relationship; I understand it's an arranged marriage. Take your time. We love you dearly. You're not just a daughter-in-law; you're our daughter. But please, don't hurt my child. After so long, I've seen a twinkle in his eyes. Don't let the shadows of his past sorrows darken his happiness."

With a heavy sigh, Ananya retreated to the washroom, changing into a soft, comforting nightshade to soothe her frayed nerves.

Emerging from the bathroom, Ananya found Debu already seated in the room, engrossed in a book. He noticed her presence and set aside the book, rising to meet her with genuine concern etched on his face. His casual attire reflected his effort to make her feel at ease.

"Ananya, tum comfortable ho yahan?" Debu inquired softly, his voice a gentle reassurance. Ananya managed a faint nod, mustering a small, strained smile.

Taking a deep breath, Debu broached a subject close to his heart, his eyes momentarily fixated on the ground. "You know, Ananya, I've never been interested in love, marriages, or those toxic entanglements. But when Dad mentioned your name, something inside me shifted. I couldn't refuse this proposal. I don't believe in superficial attractions, but there's something about you..."

He lifted his gaze, hoping to find understanding in her eyes, only to see her silhouette against the balcony railing, staring pensively at the starless night sky. Debu sighed inwardly, berating himself for unsettling her fragile composure.

Approaching her quietly, Debu rested a comforting hand on her shoulder. She turned to face him, her eyes betraying a tumult of emotions. With a tender smile, Debu attempted to reassure her, "Ananya, main tumse vaade nahi karunga jo main pura nahi kar sakta. Vaade tootne ke liye hi bante hain. Par main puri koshish karunga ki tum khush aur sukoon mein raho, bilkul jaise pehle thi."

A hesitant question slipped from Ananya's lips, her voice barely audible, "Aur agar mujhse koi galti ho gayi to... tum mujhe maaf karoge?"